Thread: Boat Heater

Default Boat Heater

Anyone try using a Kat's Car Heater (Found at AIH) on a dual battery system in a river boat? I saw it at AIH and it comes with a mounting bracket. I was thinking of putting dual batteries in the boat and running this Kat's Car Heater which is 900 Watts

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5513_200395513

Any other options that are relatively inexpensive. I was using a Little Buddy off Coleman fuel but the propane smell seemed to get to my wife. I am trying to make the boat with a full Custom Canvas top a little warmer in the early and late runs.

Thanks!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You'll need and inverter to make it work. This is a 120V unit, not a 12V.

Do you have any idea on the amperage that this heater draws? I could not find it. I suspect that it will be very power hungry, though. You will probably need more than one battery for your house bank. It will also need an inverter.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Frostbitten beat me to the punch on the inverter.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Just noticed that too... I looked at the picture and saw the two wires, but didn't read the 120v....I am sure I can find a 12 v one online. Maybe one that isn't in a plastic case too...

Have that same heater in my garage on the shelve. Son bought it to keep his Geo Tracker warm in the winter while parking next to my electric source. It would do fine on a nice warm day with the sun blazing thru the windows but that was about it. So there it sits on the shelve. I have an 1500 watt inverter on my boat that would run this but, I wasn't impressed with the heat vs the battery drain. I use the my buddy on a nippy day and will someday spend the extra bucks on a heater. I really wanted the Toyo NS2800 but they no longer produce it.

1000 w @ 120v = 8 amp
    inverter app 70% eff add anouther 4 amps, total around 12 amps.

A 1000w 12v heater needs 80 amps.
    I would suggest you look into 12v heated seats.

Joule's Law states that power is equal to current times voltage, or P = I x V.

After crunching the numbers, you can calculate that a 12V, 900W heater will draw 75 Amps. Most alternators don't even put out 75A, so this is just not a feasible device to use on a boat.....if such a heater exists.

A 120V heater, will require a generator, since an inverter will still require 75A (or more, since nothing is 100% efficient) to get 900W of output power.

Running a generator to power an electric heater is a very inefficient heating system. You'd be better off with a heater that uses combustion (burning propane, diesel, or kerosene) to generate heat.