Thread: How to pick the right gear for your boat...

Default How to pick the right gear for your boat...

So I'm in the beginning stages of outfitting my new AIRE traveler. I would like to rig it out with a rowing frame and possibly a motor mount but I have a few questions..

First, how do you decide which oars are right for your set up? Which is the quietest of the small outboards? and lastly, does anyone know if you can still find Oar Saddles anywhere?

Talk with Larry Bartlett over at http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...cessories.html . He now manufactures the Oar Saddle and can set you up even though it is not a PP...lol

Tracy at alaska raft and Kayak put this together for me

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Tboe... what is the dimensions of your boat? i LIKE that frame.. hows it ride?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince... Sorry it took me so long to respond. To be honest I had forgot about this thread and hadn't looked at it. AATo be honest I couldn't tell you the dimensions of it. It's an Aire Traveler and tracey but it together for me. I did a drop hunt with it for the first time with my cousin at one of the lakes north of Dillingham. We were moose and bear hunting as well as a little fishing. It was key in us taking a bear for him. The thing worked like a charm and rode FANTASTIC. With the 2 of us that little Merc pushed us around at about 7 mph. I have plans to pick one more up to do the cat-a-canoe thing.

Ducks & Dogs, It looks like Tboehm has a righteous setup, but the oars I would do differently.

I have found that Cataract 8' breakdowns are the best option for being lightweight and rugged. It looks like TB uses the Sawyer Polecats, which are heavy.

If you try the Cataract oars, you might choose the Mini-Magnum (small diameter) shafts with Oar Right and rope wrap. The blades are rugged and the oar system is solid under all demands.

BTW, we do still manufacture the Oar Saddles, which can be found here:
    http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...cessories.html

The Oar Saddles weigh about 6.5 lbs vs. traditional rowing frames that weigh much more than that.

As for the outboard option. You asked for a quiet motor. I've always used a 4-stroke Honda or yamaha. I believe they are heavier than 2-strokes, but much more efficient and certainly more quiet.

Hope this helps.

The reason for the oars is so that I can add the extentions and switch to the catacanoe configuration. You are right about the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke and I will be adding a bigger 4 stroke for the catacanoe but that mercury weighs in at 28 lbs for it's fantastic for fly ins with the single canoe.