Thread: Clutch Confessions....

Default Clutch Confessions....

OK - so I was tightening up the clutch/shaft bolt on a 96 670 rotax motor. I couldn't hold it for the 74 foot pounds to get to spec. So - I grabbed an almost all plastic strap wrench and wrapped it around the shaft between the clutch plates and tried to get to 74 ft/lbs.... Well - I noticed quickly, but not quick enough that the plastic strap wrench has 2 steel nuts on it.

So I ended up making a scratch in each clutch about 2 inches long. I sanded it down a little as it was pretty sharp. It is smooth now, but still able to catch it with a fingernail.

Is this going to tear up my belts if I ever get this thing running????

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not only will it eat your belts... it will wear your balance weights faster also if you gouged the sheaves they should be replaced.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

And any weaknesses in the clutch is a bad thing for something spining up 10k RPM. Alot of damage can be done by an exploding clutch. Trust me I know. A new clutch sheave is cheaper than, a primary, secondary, cowling, drive shaft, airbox or anything else exposed if it comes apart at speed.

If you can still feel it with your fingernail it will definitely tear up belts. I would not worry about the marginal unbalancing of your clutch, as most of the Ski doo clutches are 10+ grams out of balance from the factory. I would replace the sheave (s) and get the clutch balanced if I were you.

The scratches are not very dep at all. I did not think that they would effect the integrity of the sheaves...but I been wrong before!

Who in town does the balancing and can I even get sheaves for an old 1996 summit?

The integrity of the sheaves is not what bothers me either. But, think about your belt, shifting up and down those sheaves, thousands of times, spinning thousands of RPM's, and scratching those gouges every time. You havent posted pictures so I dont know how bad they truly are but if it is more than say .030 you are going to have problems with belt heat and ripping threads and should probably replace the sheaves or just buy a used clutch somewhere.

My last post was probably confusing, I was implying that the out-of-balance caused by those small gouges is nothing in comparison to how far most of the Ski Doo clutches are out of balance from the factory.

Anchorage Drag Bike in town balances clutches, 278-8566 tell them Chad sent you.

Ask them how far out of balance they were if you have it done, I would bet dollars to sense it's over 10 grams.

The scratches are between .005 and .010 deep. I buffed them with a dremel tool and they are smooth, you cannot catch a fingernail on them. I will try it and if it shreds a belt I will get a new "used" one and have it balanced. First I have to get the darn motor running....this thing has really been a PITA.

A2D, I was just checking out your website, looks like a great shop! I will have to wonder in there if I can ever find time to stop playing in the desert.