Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Middle River

  1. #1

    Default Middle River

    Floating the upper starting this Sunday. Reports seems to be that it is waning. In a raft so in no position to float the canyon. Can anyone tell me if the float from Moose River down to Swift Water would be viable or worthwhile and if so how long would it take to make the trip? Just looking at back up options. Is there another float I am leaving out?

  2. #2
    Premium Member Wyo2AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spenard
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    I floated the middle from Moose River to Swiftwater in a raft with some fellow forums members back in late August. I think it took us around 6 or 7 hours. We stopped at a few spots to fish for a bit in the morning, but then the wind and rain got with it so we floated straight through towards the end. Did pretty well on 8mm and 10mm in mottled colors. Some action on the flesh fly. Can't say how the fishing down there has been lately... I've been swamped with work the past few weeks and haven't been getting out nearly enough. I'm sure there's still fish and food in the water, but it may be getting towards that time of year when their bellies are stuffed and they're getting much more selective about what they go after. Good luck wherever you end up.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

  3. #3
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenfishman View Post
    Floating the upper starting this Sunday. Reports seems to be that it is waning. In a raft so in no position to float the canyon. Can anyone tell me if the float from Moose River down to Swift Water would be viable or worthwhile and if so how long would it take to make the trip? Just looking at back up options. Is there another float I am leaving out?
    I haven't floated that before but skilak to bings is good, plenty of silvers and trout. Was up there this past weekend.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I actually did this section Saturday Sept 25th. Sort of an experiment. I'm not familiar with all the holes up there but I can tell you this. We did fairly good below the Moose maybe a 1/3 of the way to Swiftwater (that's a guess). There were rainbows and or silvers jumping and the fishing was pretty good. However once you pasted the 1/3 marker it died off to nothing.

    So, sort of a mixed bag. We caught fish on flesh and beads.

  5. #5
    Moderator Alaskacanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    This rain has made the river below the killey river harder to fish,
    from Skilak down to Dots is still doing ok, with the clearer water,
    Those of you concerned with the amount of power boat traffic on the river from Skilak to Killey river need to voice your feelings to the Kenai national refuge and also to the DNR.
    This year has been the most hard hit in my 21 years of use on this portion of the river.
    We had folks in smaller un motored craft complain about very dangerous situations from Motor boat operators on the weekends.
    remember if you are a motor boat operator that unmotored craft have the right of way and you need to move for them, not the other way around.
    As many folks have found excellent fishing in this area, the increase of boat traffic has gone up very quickly over the past 4 or so years.
    this has come on fairly quickly and is great concern to the managers of this portion of the river. A few incidents where someone actually gets hit, or hurt, will give amunition to close some or part of the river to power boats, similar to the Kasilof,, where it used to be open to power boats, but because of abuse by just a few, it was shut down..
    word is that closing the river to power boats from Skilak to the first cabin near the lower Killey is in the future very possible.
    Many of my contacts have shared this thought and as we know,, talk is where it starts...
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

    Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

  6. #6
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    I was on the middle a week ago on a friday and man was it ever busy with motor boats. Some of these guys go way to fast back up for another drift. I do think there will have to be some changes soon on this part of the river.Even extending drift mondays all year would be a start.

  7. #7
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    This rain has made the river below the killey river harder to fish,
    from Skilak down to Dots is still doing ok, with the clearer water,
    Those of you concerned with the amount of power boat traffic on the river from Skilak to Killey river need to voice your feelings to the Kenai national refuge and also to the DNR.
    This year has been the most hard hit in my 21 years of use on this portion of the river.
    We had folks in smaller un motored craft complain about very dangerous situations from Motor boat operators on the weekends.
    remember if you are a motor boat operator that unmotored craft have the right of way and you need to move for them, not the other way around.
    As many folks have found excellent fishing in this area, the increase of boat traffic has gone up very quickly over the past 4 or so years.
    this has come on fairly quickly and is great concern to the managers of this portion of the river. A few incidents where someone actually gets hit, or hurt, will give amunition to close some or part of the river to power boats, similar to the Kasilof,, where it used to be open to power boats, but because of abuse by just a few, it was shut down..
    word is that closing the river to power boats from Skilak to the first cabin near the lower Killey is in the future very possible.
    Many of my contacts have shared this thought and as we know,, talk is where it starts...
    Max
    I understand it only takes a few bad ones to wreck it............and people need to know the drifters do have the right of way, however with that being said they need to exercise a little bit of courtesy...... drifters too, please don't hang out in the middle of the channels.

  8. #8

    Default

    Drift boats already have a place. Upper River.

  9. #9
    Member cube01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fred_styles View Post
    Drift boats already have a place. Upper River.
    That's a pretty arrogant statement... Just because I don't like getting stuck behind RV's driving the Alaska Hwy doesn't mean they don't have as much right to be there as I do.

  10. #10
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    people need to know the drifters do have the right of way
    Where in the CG "rules of the road" does it say that? Drift boats would have the right away only if they are being over taken (going the same direction) so my understanding if you're drifting down and a power boat is motoring up then you better get out of the way especially if the power boat has a prop because then it becomes constrained by its draft and then it would have the right of way
    The "Pecking Order"

    There is a "pecking order" that can be used as a simplified memory aid to determine right of way for vessels of different types. Get very familiar with this list, as it is important to understand it thoroughly. The uppermost vessel on the list has right-of-way (stand-on vessel) over any vessel (give-way vessel) below it on the list:
    Overtaken vessel (top priority)

    Vessel not under command

    Vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver

    Vessel constrained by its draft

    Fishing vessel (commercial fishing or trawling but not trolling)

    Sailing vessel (engine not on)

    Power-driven vessel
    Last edited by fullbush; 10-04-2010 at 13:18. Reason: BTW a drift boat is considered a power boat because of its oars

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    That's a pretty arrogant statement... Just because I don't like getting stuck behind RV's driving the Alaska Hwy doesn't mean they don't have as much right to be there as I do.
    Arrogant is thinking you have preference on the river because you're in a drift boat.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    This rain has made the river below the killey river harder to fish,
    from Skilak down to Dots is still doing ok, with the clearer water,
    Those of you concerned with the amount of power boat traffic on the river from Skilak to Killey river need to voice your feelings to the Kenai national refuge and also to the DNR.
    This year has been the most hard hit in my 21 years of use on this portion of the river.
    We had folks in smaller un motored craft complain about very dangerous situations from Motor boat operators on the weekends.
    remember if you are a motor boat operator that unmotored craft have the right of way and you need to move for them, not the other way around.
    As many folks have found excellent fishing in this area, the increase of boat traffic has gone up very quickly over the past 4 or so years.
    this has come on fairly quickly and is great concern to the managers of this portion of the river. A few incidents where someone actually gets hit, or hurt, will give amunition to close some or part of the river to power boats, similar to the Kasilof,, where it used to be open to power boats, but because of abuse by just a few, it was shut down..
    word is that closing the river to power boats from Skilak to the first cabin near the lower Killey is in the future very possible.
    Many of my contacts have shared this thought and as we know,, talk is where it starts...
    Max
    Great post, Max! Get involved folks....the fred_styles mentality is the problem. Way to solidify Max's point for him, fred. You were probably one of the guys who intentionally swamped my kayak while racing upstream within 10 feet of me with your 50hp last weekend. I'm sure it was my fault for being on the river, though. I should know better, right?

    The river is for EVERYONE, and once it becomes dangerous for tax-paying citizens of Alaska to use their resource because of certain groups who don't know the law, have no sense of etiquette or courtesy, and are completely self-absorbed jackasses who care for no one but themselves there is a problem. I love the "we were here first" mentality, as if this were kindergarten and we're arguing over who should get to use the swingset. Public is public and laws are laws. You don't get to do whatever you want just because you *think* you were there first. Most of those who say they were fishing that section of river "for years" are totally full of it, too. It seems everyone has been fishing it for decades, lol.

    There are all sorts of ecological reasons for regulating power boats on the middle but the safety and traffic issues alone need immediate consideration.

  13. #13
    Member cube01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fred_styles View Post
    Arrogant is thinking you have preference on the river because you're in a drift boat.
    That's not the argument you were making in your original post.

    For the record, I have never in my life been in a drift boat.

  14. #14
    Member jockomontana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seward
    Posts
    336

    Default

    USCG Nav Rules - RULE 9: Narrow Channels
    "(a)(ii) ... a powerdriven vessel operating in narrow channels... on Western Rivers... proceeding downbound with a following current shall have the right-of-way over an upbound vessel.... The vessel proceeding upbound against the current shall hold as necessary to permit safe passing."

    Furthermore, under the General definitions and Responsibility, a "powerdriven vessel", being propelled by machinery, shall always yield to vessels under sail or vessels "restricted in their ability to maneuver" ie. kayaks, drift boats, rafts... you know, just the basic courtesy and common sense stuff.

    Also, under that logic, you really cant ask a vessel drifting to not hang out in mid channel, unless their on anchor of course, but drifters on the Middle Kenai have a serious disadvantage and have to work much harder to catch the same fish as a vessel with power.

    Personally, I think the Middle is reaching a serious critical mass in fall fishing pressure and will soon see even more restrictions... like drift only days or horsepower reductions...

  15. #15
    Member jockomontana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seward
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    so my understanding if you're drifting down and a power boat is motoring up then you better get out of the way especially if the power boat has a prop because then it becomes constrained by its draft and then it would have the right of way
    Actually, Fullbush... you are mistaken in your interpretation... I know it's easy to do with all the technicalities of CFR's (Code of Federal Regs)..
    First of all, "Constrained by Draft" only applies to International waters, not Inland Rivers.
    Second, a drift boat is NOT a power-driven vessel... "power" means the aid of an internal combustion engine, not oars or paddles.
    Lastly, a downbound vessel, power-driven or otherwise, always has the right-of-way... an upbound vessel has the advantage of stemming the current and holds its position more easily than a vessel being pushed by the current... kind of like how a drift boat maneuvers easier by rowing backward...

    And for you Fred, nobody has "preference" on the river, but yes, some of us do try to make it work for all the users out there and Regs are in place to ensure the safety of all who abide by them... even if they're too ignorant to comprehend them.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    So there is an increase in both power boats and drift boats and the drift boaters/rafters want to get rid of power boats. Is the upper river and the Kasilof not enough for rowers? Now you want another section of river to yourselves? That seemes pretty elitist to me. I am guess you are the same "fly fishermen" that use a "strike indicator" (aka: bobber).

    Don't forget the conflict of interest that Alaskacanoe has, he has a business renting canoes and rafts and now seems to be pushing for powerboats to be off the river between Skilak and Dots. Seems to be a little financial agenda there.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    That's not the argument you were making in your original post.

    For the record, I have never in my life been in a drift boat.
    I own both a power boat and drift boat. I hope to be able to use them both.
    Not once did I talk about eliminating drift boats. If you don't like being around power boats then go where power boats aren't allowed, don't try to change the rules to benefit yourself.

  18. #18
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    I stand corrected jockomontana and thank you for clarifying the regs. Good post yukon.
    Shoot I always thought kayakers were speed bumps. It sounds to me like we need to put in a proposal for kayaks and drift boats to be painted fluorescent pink so we can see them, my eyes get all watery at 40+


    This is starting to stink like the communists that outlawed jetskis in Kachemak for crying out loud

  19. #19
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post
    USCG Nav Rules - RULE 9: Narrow Channels
    "(a)(ii) ... a powerdriven vessel operating in narrow channels... on Western Rivers... proceeding downbound with a following current shall have the right-of-way over an upbound vessel.... The vessel proceeding upbound against the current shall hold as necessary to permit safe passing."

    Furthermore, under the General definitions and Responsibility, a "powerdriven vessel", being propelled by machinery, shall always yield to vessels under sail or vessels "restricted in their ability to maneuver" ie. kayaks, drift boats, rafts... you know, just the basic courtesy and common sense stuff.

    Also, under that logic, you really cant ask a vessel drifting to not hang out in mid channel, unless their on anchor of course, but drifters on the Middle Kenai have a serious disadvantage and have to work much harder to catch the same fish as a vessel with power.

    Personally, I think the Middle is reaching a serious critical mass in fall fishing pressure and will soon see even more restrictions... like drift only days or horsepower reductions...
    I understand your point but the fact of the matter is most drift boats, rafts have a way shallow draft and can afford to stay closer to the banks and what not were a power boat doesn't have that luxury.

    I feel that it honeslty isnt a drift boat versus power boat, it's the person running the boat, I have no problems slowing down for drifters, or not powering up right next to them to move, I think in general some people need to be more curtious nothing more.

  20. #20
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I stand corrected jockomontana and thank you for clarifying the regs. Good post yukon.
    Shoot I always thought kayakers were speed bumps. It sounds to me like we need to put in a proposal for kayaks and drift boats to be painted fluorescent pink so we can see them, my eyes get all watery at 40+


    This is starting to stink like the communists that outlawed jetskis in Kachemak for crying out loud


    LOL I can't understand why they would want to kayak down the kenai like that any way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •