Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moose hunting with 30-06

Default moose hunting with 30-06

im 17 years old 12th grade in ontario canada my dad was gone this week for moose hunting with my brother in law and his brother they havent called early saying they killed a moose so i think they havent killed enny thing and this is with bow season. in 2 weeks we got rifle season and i really want to try out my new 338 win mag i got this year. my dad told me we cud gow for 3 days hunting not the full week since i cant miss out on much school since my avrage is only 60 how can i convince my dad to let me go the full week of hunting and hop fully kills my first moose

Good Day Luiss,
    I will be in Ontario moose hunting in a few days myself up near Red Lake!
    My son asked me that question about hunting several years ago when I was going to South Dakota for a deer / pheasant hunt for a week. He was going to get to come along if his grades were good - they were not and he did not get to go that year. The next year he made sure to work hard at the schoolwork and he got to go! So, enjoy the 3 days your father is taking you, put some more effort into the studies, and I wish you great luck in getting a big bull!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    im 17 years old 12th grade in ontario canada my dad was gone this week for moose hunting with my brother in law and his brother they havent called early saying they killed a moose so i think they havent killed enny thing and this is with bow season. in 2 weeks we got rifle season and i really want to try out my new 338 win mag i got this year. my dad told me we cud gow for 3 days hunting not the full week since i cant miss out on much school since my avrage is only 60 how can i convince my dad to let me go the full week of hunting and hop fully kills my first moose
    Just reading through your post I would say that your father has made the correct decision. Being a father myself I want the best for my children and I realize that as much fun as it is to hunt and fish it generally doesn't pay the bills. Well, at least not for 99.999% of us. You are on the cusp of entering either college or the workforce and to be frank, your post is so wrought with grammatical errors it make me cringe. Being able to articulate your thoughts on paper will take you farther in this world than just about any other skill. Your resume has to be well received to get you through to an interview and writing like this will end up in the round file of any HR department long before it even gets to the guy who is actually doing the hiring.

Then again, if you are French Canadian and writing in your second language I may be way off base.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

GRADES GRADES GRADES... none of my kids go if the grades are poor.. it is just to hard to get caught back up if already behind the ball.. my daughter is still pulling out of it from our week long trip for her bou this fall... on top of the current home work, she has all that to make up. it is a constant battle.. convince dad you can handle the load by being on top before the season... he is more worried about your future... then that of any mooses...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Take care of business (in your case school) first.... the moose will always be there later. Enjoy the 3 days out with your pop. A moose (even a first moose) is just icing on the cake.

In your later years the time in the field with your dad will mean more to you than any moose you may or may not bag and the difference between 3 days and a full week will be blurred out by time. 30 years later I remember going out a lot with my dad and I couldn't tell you how many days we went or even how many deer we bagged or fish we caught. I just remember being out with my Dad and that's enough for me.

A substandard education and resultant career choices will be felt by you and your future family for the rest of your life however.

I just had this talk with my son yesterday. He carried a D in algebra through the entire moose season. As a result I didn't make time for us to get out and hunt. He knew those were the rules and he didn't manage to take the responsibility to make his grade better despite many hours I spent with him helping him get his grade up. He obviously knows I am serious because the grade has miraculously climbed to a C right before hockey season starts No extra curricular activities allowed in my house without a C (70%) average and no D's.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have to agree with most of the previous answers.

If you are carrying a 60 average, you need to study instead of hunt. I would fault your parents for allowing you to hunt until your grades were satisfactory.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

These are some great posts, not harsh or abrasive, just the facts. Just remember, if you don't have a good education and a good job, you may not be able to afford to go hunting.

i would work on the spelling for starters, and get your grades up. earn it.

Charterboat Operator

[ and to be frank, your post is so wrought with grammatical errors it make me cringe. Being able to articulate your thoughts on paper will take you farther in this world than just about any other skill.

Would the proper verbage after "grammatical errors" not be " it makeS me cringe" ?
    just a thought
    And though I am funning (word?) with Lujon, I do agree whoe heartedly, and those rules are applied to my teenagers as well
    PB

the reason my spelling is off is because im french i live in ontario but since i was born i talked in french and i started english class in third grade but the spelling never got to me. today i got a 90% in a math test its english and french class that slow me down lol

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    [ and to be frank, your post is so wrought with grammatical errors it make me cringe. Being able to articulate your thoughts on paper will take you farther in this world than just about any other skill.

Would the proper verbage after "grammatical errors" not be " it makeS me cringe" ?
    just a thought
    And though I am funning (word?) with Lujon, I do agree whoe heartedly, and those rules are applied to my teenagers as well
    PB
    *verbiage
    *wholeheartedly

That's commendable right there. Learning one language and all it's rules is hard enough. Two definitely makes things more difficult. Good job on the math test. To answer your original post, I think your dad know best in this situation. I was always told and still live by this rule today. "Work Hard, Play Hard!" Enjoy the three days you're getting. Plenty of moose get shot in the first 5 minutes of the first morning.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

the reason my spelling is off is because im french i live in ontario but since i was born i talked in french and i started english class in third grade but the spelling never got to me. today i got a 90% in a math test its english and french class that slow me down lol
    jess neva mine tha h8rs...VIVA LA FRANCISA! VIVA LA DIFFERENCE!

...how can i convince my dad to let me go the full week...
    Convince him? The only method I see is to meet the academic standards your parents set.

I know how intense the wanting gets. When I was a teenager it just ate me up sometimes. And some recent research suggests teenage brains aren't yet wired to fully understand the long-term rewards we get for short-term tradeoffs. But the best way I know of to build that wiring is to tie the behavior (studying as much as it takes to make the grade) to the reward (a longer hunting trip, in your case.)

I'd love to be the guy who brings good news and tells you Dad is out of line, but if I had a 60% average, my dad wouldn't have let me hunt at all, much less for three days.

So congratulations on your recent 90%! Keep it up!!

Congrats Luiss on the 90!
    The first time I went into remote northern Manitoba, the outfitters children had been pulled from school for 2 weeks while mom & dad took care of us bear hunters. One night their daughter sat down on couch to do some homework - I asked if she would like some company and help! I think she was nine - anyway she said "sure" I am doing my french lessons - yikes - I said sorry no can help - she said OK, how about helping me with Japanese then!!! Dbl yikes! I quickly found out I was the one that needed help!
    What part or area of Ontario will you be hunting in anyway?
    Good support guys
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The absolute best Hunters I know skipped high school entirely...........and hunted most every day, all year round and still do.

Quite a few are supporting their collage educated, unemployed brothers and sisters......who know about making a living out there, but are not conditiond to do so.....

Dosent matter what you know, you better know something, and then get off your ass and do it.

I'd rather be "Good" than lucky" , as 'Good' is consistant, and luck comes in too many forms. Get good at something, whatever you do.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The "can't go if you don't get <fill in the blank> accomplished" is definitely not a pre-adulthood occurrance! We all have things we have to make happen so we can hunt and fish. For instance, we all have to work extra hours or put more into savings and not get to go out to eat or something of that nature to make sure we have the vacation time and money required for the hunting trip. Most of us men on here, I gather from the posts, have wives. And believe me, if you want to top that "Mom and Dad are ticked at me..." experience, try heading out on the hunt without having touched the "Honey-Do" list!!!! Yep, it's all preparation for adult life!

Default For real?

I wonder if the OP wasn't pulling our legs a bit.
    If, however, if he is in 12th grade and has achieved only that level of proficiency, it is TOO LATE! The boy should go moose hunting, as school is clearly not his thing.

Let me restate that:
    If'n hes reeched 12th grade and caint spell werth nuthin he shud thro in the towl and go huntin. He blongs in the wuds.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I wonder if the OP wasn't pulling our legs a bit.
    If, however, if he is in 12th grade and has achieved only that level of proficiency, it is TOO LATE! The boy should go moose hunting, as school is clearly not his thing.

Let me restate that:
    If'n hes reeched 12th grade and caint spell werth nuthin he shud thro in the towl and go huntin. He blongs in the wuds.
    Evidently you missed the part that said he was French. and English is the second language?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast