Thread: Cabin protection from wildlife.

Default Cabin protection from wildlife.

Idea from another thread. Didn't want to thread jack the guy after getting broken into.

What are some ways to prevent 4 legged creatures (and possibly 2 legged creatures) from damaging your hard work?

Planks with nails poking up..... what about early/late winter, a guy could miss them and end up with a bunch of holes in his or friends/families feet.

My windows are very high off the ground except on the porch. I was thinking about a garage door like the Peanut Farm? Good or bad idea?

Doors?

Ideas please!

Thanks!
    Mike

I spent some time out at a cabin on Lake Creek over 15 years ago. It was the only one around that wasn't trashed by bears. His cure..a solar electric fence around the place. He used a setup rated for a mile of electric fence and ran it 5 strands high around the cabin. I worked super well.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Dirt

I talked to many people after my incident including some oooooollllllddddd timers with cabins all over the state. They swear by the boards. Hard to argue with their experience. I did not like the idea either, hard to keep the dogs under control when heading out to the cabin or the kids bumping into a sheet of plywood with a bunch of nails.

About the boards don't put the nails too close together, the big brownies can walk on them if they are spaced too close, The friends who have a cabin on kodiak said solar electric fence works great, no problems unless the fence goes down. I guess the best deal around on the fence chargers is out in the valley at a horse supply shop. If you want to know the name Ill ask the guy at work again for the name of the shop.

Personally electric fence going up next spring at my place, about $200.00 its pretty cheap when you think about how much effort making bear proof shutters for doors and windows would be. Thinking about a cache or root cellar for the food too.

Protection from people forget it, I don't leave too much in there and that's what insurance is for. Trail cam would be interesting if you have concerns.

Default What works for me......

Install your door so they open to the outside. Then the bear has to push that much harder to break in. Not saying a bear can't do it, but it is a lot tougher. I have just nailed some 2x4 vertically on either side of the windows and then screwed heavy duty plywood boards on top of that. Should stop most bears.

The best way to stop 2 legged creatures is to not leave home. Or maybe some booby traps here and there.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

a solar powered electric fencer should deter most bears, my ol'man uses one for our cattle to keep them in our property & we have about an acre size campsite in our timber which is surrounded with solar fence to keep them out of our campsite area, we use a deep cycle marine battery as they seem to last longer, im pretty sure we paid around $350 + the battery but think you'd get by fine on a smaller unit than the 1 we purchased, also have a 12volt light setup in the shed where we store lawnchairs,camping supplies,cooking gear etc...etc... works great just use 2 wires (standard household wire 14/3) run from battery to a standard light switch then to a screw in light receptacle but be sure to use 12volt bulbs dad says he hasnt charged the battery in over 1 1/2 yrs, just some useful info if someone were interested, as for 2 legged pests, well a security camera w/night vision capable hooked up to a DVR as to hold more data & then wired into a motion sensor light so it only records when motion activates , also get a meana-- pitbull with aids should deter thieves of the human kind.