Thread: Tent selection

Default Tent selection

First of all I'm new to this web site. I must say that I have enjoyed reading all of the post on this site. I have been thinking of getting a new tent. In order to get the old lady to go fishing with me she wants to sleep on a cot and has to beable to send up in the tent. I have looked at a lot of tents and have narrowed it down to two tents. I have been looking at the Cabeals model alaskan guide model 6 person and the Arctic oven AO10. I plan on useing this tent for moose camp and maybe a November Caribou hunt in Circle. If I do heat the tent it would be with a small propane heater "Buddy Heater" with a o2 sensior that will shut off if the oxygen gets to low. Has anyone used the cabelas model tent in the winter with a small heater? The heater would only be on in the morning to break the chill. I know that the Actic oven tent is a very good tent but $1200 is a lot of money for a tent. If anyone has the AO10 does it let to much light in the summer. Also this tent will be used for ATV,Boat, car camping I wont be packing it anywhere. Any info would be great. If need be I can leave old lady at home and use my moss 4 season tent that I have used for years. Any info would be great. If anyone has other tents that you think would work I'm All ears. The tent has to have enough room for two cots and a big meat eating rabid attack lab. Watch out she has a 10 foot tounge and knows how to use it. A vestibule to cook when it is raining out. and atleast 6 foot tall in the middle. Thanks again.

Default need to check ultimate tent survey

lots of good info on tents on that thread.as to heating the cablea's tent make sure you are well vented,i also use the buddy heater to break the morning chill.as for useing it during winter months may not be the best,fabric is tough to work with when setting up in very cold weather and for me the better half has hard time with just a little heat here and there.i purshased a surplus artic army tent inslulated and rigged for a stove and enjoyed many trips with the other half.

Smile Cabela's Deluxe Alaknak II

I bought a cabela's Deluxe Alaknak II tent a few years ago and couldn't be happier with it. I bought the wood stove at the same time and the price wasn' too bad, about $750 including shipping. The weight is not to bad either @ somthing like 75lbs including stove.
    I bring it on my 16ft. Wooldridge Alaskan and on in the trailer on my four wheeler when moose hunting. I have had it down in the PWS deer hunting and saw all types of weather from Blizzards with 80MPH winds to clear and COLD and stayed very toasty warm when the wood stove was going. A buddy of mine had the 9.5X9.5 and it was nice but after I bought the 12X12 my buddies seemed a little small and at only $100 more it almost doubles your space, brings it from 90.24 to 144 sqaure feet w/ 4foot sidewalls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the 12x12 alaknak too, with a supply of wood it stays very warm inside, quick to setup for its size and if you have a truck to pack it....totally reccomended, I have the outfitter xwt in 10x10 and just sold the 8x8, I like the headroom, and it has a great vestibule, it pales in comparison to the alaknak for space and comfort, prolly take worse weather, the 8x8 was kinda tight for two cots and gear, the alakank has seen 50+ mph winds for 10hours and hardly budged, gotta love the waterproof floor in a wall tent.

I purchased the Arctic Oven 10x10 over 10 years ago and still have no regrets. The colder it gets the better it gets. There is plenty of room for 2 cots with a large ice chest at the foot and the wood burning stove. The number of tie-down is awesome - did fine on a Ak Pen bear hunt. Like most things in life you get what you pay for. I bought mine for the long haul. It's a regular on late season moose hunts.
    Last edited by shphtr; 07-29-2007 at 14:20.

Default cabela's Deluxe Alaknak II

I also have used the Cabela's Deluxe AlaknakII (12X12)with good success...though it was a little hard to set up on top of 4ft of snow. I'm originally from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and am in the Military. Our Moral Dept had purchased the tent after my recomendation, the first time I used it I packed it in about 4 miles on my snowmobile during a nice snow storm. We set her up, and had room for 4cots and 2 guys and 2 dogs sleeping on the floor. We ended up getting about 15 inches of snow that night too. That tent took it like a champ! Stayed real warm too, with that wood stove. Hope that helps ya out a little.

Thanks for all of the great info. I'm still not 100 percent on what tent I'm going to get but, everything is clearer if that makes any since. Who would have thought that this much thinking goes into buying a new tent...