Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Bull Moose

Default First Bull Moose

Well i got my first bull moose this season. seems ive always either helped someoene else get one...or ive just gotten cows outta the many cow seasons......but this was my year.

I left Fairbanks with my hunting and trapping partner, two friends from work, his dad, and two of his dads friends on the morning of the eighth of september as soon as i got off work. we got to the river and had the boat in the water by 1:00, and by three thirty had all the four wheelers, gear, people, and trailers ferried over to where we were gonna head out! by the time we got the four wheelers and trailers loaded up and ready to head down the trail eight miles to our trapping cabin, it was pouring rain! the cloud cover was so low we couldnt see up onto the ridges surrounding the valley.

We got to the Cabin around 5:00 with no mishaps, other than flipping a couple trailers, losing one in a mudhole, and getting a wheeler stuck. Still raining, so as we couldnt see anything, we had dinner and sat around the cabin drinking beer and getting to know each other.

The next morning it was STILL pouring rain, but we headed up the ridge anyways to see if there was any way we couldt spot out into the valley and flats, but we were socked in. We went back to the cabin and spent the day putting the small boat in the water, cutting out small logjams that had built up since last fall, cutting up firewood, and putting a new deck on the cabin. Some people might call that work, but out there...seems like its just part of having a good time.....we were in "Gods" country....it was awesome!

On the Tenth i headed back out to the boat, and went about two hours down the river to pick up my dad, and since he only had two days off work, i spent sat. and sunday with him just running the river hoping to run into a nice small freezer pleaser moose, but it didnt work out. so monday morning i headed back out to the cabin. (By the way i got a REAL cool wife, cuz monday was our second aniversery, and all she said was...get me a moose!)

When i got to the cabin, i found out that the fog and rain had lifted, and the night before one of the guys had shot a 53 incher about three miles from camp. Good News!!! i grabbed a bite to eat a few beers and headed down the trail with one of the older guys to a spot up on the ridge where we have a good view of a few lakes and a big flat! It was a gorgeous evening! the sun was dropping, wind was still, we could hear the trumpeter swans out on the lake, the ducks splashing around in the pond below us, cold beer on the seat of my wheeler as i called and raked for a few hours! About forty five minutes before it was gonna be too dark to see, i was thinking nothing was gonna show when i heard a deep grunt, straight down the hill and a little to the left of us. i looked at my buddy, and he had heard it too. i grabbed my binos and looked out and i saw it....HUGE bull standing in the clearing near which we had a tree stand....empty that night of course. he looked up our way and walked straight away from us....i tried bull grunts, cow calls, scraping, and nothing worked...he headed straight towards the river and disapeared. not ten minutes later, another smaller bull came out about a mile away across the flat. he was maybe forty inches but he was raking and grunting like the big boys and headed straight towards us. about half mile out, he got hung up showing a small spruce tree who the REAL mack daddy was....and stayed there till dark. we eased down the hill and headed back to the cabin. Even tho no blood was spilled, it was still an amazing night!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

The next night out, four of us went to the lookout. Since we had seen moose the night before in two different areas, we drew straws and decided that I would sit in the treestand, and one of the older guys would be posted up on the flat near where the smaller moose had destroyed the black spruce the night before! the other two guys headed up the hill to call for the evening. around seven thirty, i could hear a moose grunting and raking behind me over towards where the other guy was hanging out, but couldnt see that way, and eventuallly heard it run off. i found out later that Dave, the guy who was about six hundred yards away from me out on the flat, had put an unsuccessful stalk on it. about half an hour later, i heard two bulls raking a grunting in the brush about five hundred yards straight out in front of where i was sitting. i knew they were headed my way, because every time my buddy up on the hill would give a grunt or scrape, one of the bulls would grunt and really get to thrashing brush, but he sounded closer each time. about half hour before it would be too dark to shoot, i saw a flash of horn about a hundred and fifty yards out in the brush. it was go time. i stood up and leaned against the tree in front of me...watching through the Leupold 3-9x40 mounted on my ruger hawkey .300 win mag. after about five minutes, he stepped out into the open....head hanging low....slobbering....grunting...and slowly walking towards me. watching him thru the scope, i could see something red on top of his neck and thought to myself....this guy just got his butt kicked by a bigger moose...hes all torn up! as he turned broadside, i let him have one...in the front shoulder. he imediately took off in a dead run...angling straight at me. i shot him again in the hip, and again just behind the should, and again low in the front leg, and thats when he stopped and looked at me, and i dropped him with a shot to the neck just behind the head.

When that big beautiful bull hit the ground, i looked at my hands and they were shaking. i had finally killed my moose. i leaned back my head and let loose a rebel yell im sure they heard in fairbanks. ten seconds later i heard an answer coming down the hill from my buddy. then i climbed down to look at my bull.

it was gorgeous...only fifty incher, but a dark brown, and real long tines...plus since it was my first bull..im **** proud of him. oh and what i thought was his neck being torn up from fight was actually a red peice of plastic on a fish and game collar he was wearing with a radio transmitter on it and a yellow ear tag in his ear!

Nice moose....glad it all worked out for you!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Congrats rawdog, appreciate the story and the pic. I have to admit, I'm a little put off by your "grabbing a few beers", and running around on a wheeler with a firearm. I guess no on got hurt, so it's not a problem...

Well after we got my bull gutted and quartered and hauled back to camp in the dark, id be lying if i said i didnt have at least one or two celebratory beers round the campfire! im still so pumped two weeks later. what magnificent animals those moose are....just beautiful. We ended up getting two more bulls....my buddy shot a small thirty five incher that came right up the hill raking to the tree i was calling from, and another guy who was holding the last tag, shot a really nice fifty eight incher the three nights later. all in all it was a great ten days. we saw fourteen bulls in all...including one monster on the last night, but all tags had been filled.....we leave him to spread his genes around one more year. and we probably heard...that we didnt see....at least four or five other bulls. had four tags and filled them all. i got my first bull....and im so stoked right now.

Heres a pic of the fifty eight incher....look how thick his brow tines are.....

fifty eight incher

sorry guys...still trying to figure out the proper way to get pics on here......

Good going. Always nice to have everyone in camp get in some shooting. That way no one feels like the odd man out deal.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

So he was "only a 50 incher", huh??? congrats on your success, great lookin bull!

Nice job and nice bull!! Congrats! Are you sure that one bull is 58"?? I'm thnking you might have got him confused with one of the other bulls. Your bull looks wider to me.

Congrats Rawdog on a very successful hunt! Looks like you had a great trip.
    I don't want to throw mud on a great time with friends and family, but I have to side with Frostbitten about the booze - I see absolutely no need for it to be consumed before, or while, out hunting. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy a drink myself - at the cabin, campfire etc, but if I had someone pack it out and drink while hunting I would be gone in a flash.
    I assume that is your lovely family in the boat and such a precious child - they trust you to make good decisions and take care of them - be careful with the choices you make. Today we had a fundraiser where I work - to buy a tombstone for a beautiful little boy - was 2 yrs old - dad picked him up from daycare - his mom worked at the daycare - 2 miles to home - well dad thought he needed a few beers - hit a tree and now that child is in heaven, dad will be in prison for many years. He may have grown up to have a dream like yours - live in such a splendid place - see the wonders you get to see - however that is all lost now - for what - a few cans of beer..... Cars, boats, guns, booze, do not mix well.
    One thing all people that make such an awful mistake by misusing alcohol and taking another's life - especially a child's, will say, " I sure wish someone had stopped me"!
    Well, please head our advice and enjoy those beers when the time is right.
    Again, I am very happy for you and wish you many, many more successful hunts and trips with your beautiful family!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us. Sounds like you buddy has a cabin in a wonderful spot. Congrats on your first Bull.

leave the guy alone. what are you MADH (mothers against drunk hunting)

Quote Originally Posted by bunnypoacher View Post
    what are you MADH (mothers against drunk hunting)

Can drunk hunting ever be a good idea?

Congrats on the moose. Very nice looking animals there.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Thanks for sharing......sounds like a great hunt.

Thanks to Smokey and Frostbitten as well for giving us the low down on what you should or shouldn't have done....cause we don't really know what you did or did not do. Glad we could draw some conclusions that you were driving around hammered just before the evening moose hunt.

Sorry, just gets a little tiresome at times.......sorry to take away from you sharing your tale.

Excellent Moose hunting, and a great write up with pix ta boot!

I read it twice~~LOL!!~~Awsome.

(Does that Moose have a coller??)~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast