Thread: Caribou Float

Default Caribou Float

A year of planning had gone by, my good friend Scott flew in from Nebraska ready for a north Slope adventure. We loaded the truck and drove north to meet up with Mike of 70 North. Mike was on the ball and ready to fly us out that night. We could see on the flight in water levels were good. 1.jpg2.jpg

Default Float

Our pilot Bill flew us into the mountains and found a small (very small) section of gravel bar to drop us on. After 3 fly bys, Bill had us on the ground and stopped in less than 150 ft. After unloading and pushing the helio back as far as we could he was off leaving us with a beautiful sun set and a rising moon4.jpg3.jpg

Default float

First morning we were up early and headed up a long drainage, the weather was perfect, the views unbelievable. Scott spotted a nice bull coming down out of a cut and game on. The bull came out into the open and offered him a nice broadside shot at 200 yrds, one shot from the TC Encore .280 dropped him
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (214.9 KB, 313 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (205.2 KB, 343 views)

Default Float

After a long pack back to camp (4 miles) we called it a night. We awoke to another beautiful day, we spent most of it glassing and fishing. Water levels made fishing difficult, but scott managed to hook up with a really nice Char.
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (62.4 KB, 314 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (192.4 KB, 279 views)

Default Float

The Pro Pioneer is the bomb, by the end of the hunt we had the two of us, our gear and 3 bou in her and never needed more than 6" of water. It was a bit sad to float out of the mountains, just something about being in that country that makes you feel alive

Default Float

There were plenty of bou around, the big boys were mostly up in the high country. We took a couple more on the way out to fill the freezer, had a great time with a great friend!

congrats! it looks like the weather was excellent, which makes a trip like that unforgettable. thanks for posting the pics.

i sent you a PM, thanks.

I recognize the river. What were your hunt dates? I was there the first week of August.

The weather was great, one day of low clouds but other than that, clear sky's all week. We went in on the 28th of Aug, we like the later hunts

So akhunter02 had two great hunting adventures this fall....i admire the amount of time you were able to invest in your hunting and rafting adventures.
    dennis

I am lucky in that respect, I set aside 3 weeks each year, Id try for more but think the wife would hang me

Looks like some nice bou hunting. Someday soon I'll get back up there.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I second the hanging part, I've been gone almost seven months on deployment. But I'm still hoping to sneak in a week up on the slope for bou when I get back this month. Thanks for another great adventure post, enjoyed the pics.

Awesome hunt! What did you catch the Char on?

Default Float

We found that Mepps spinners worked best for the Grayling and Kastmasters worked best for the Char