Thread: Drift Boat Questions

Default Drift Boat Questions

What do I need for a drift boat?
    I would like to use it on the upper, middle Kenai and the Kasksiloff rivers.
    It will be for 2 or 3 people.
    I dont really want one of the great big boats but I hear they row and handle better.
    Ive been looking at used 16' boats that are 20 years old in Kenai for $5000. I look at the new boats on the builders sites and there offering brand new 16' boats for the same price. I can get a boat brought up next spring for free. So to me a 20 year old boat or a new for the same price, its a no brainer.
    What size do I need? 17x56, 17x60, 18x56, 18x60?
    What options should I get? I do want to keep it like and simple.
    Has anyone ever rowed a Diamond Back boat? I talked to the guy and I like him and his prices.
    Bob

Bob, I would go with as wide as you can get no matter what length. I started with a 16' and can't believe I didn't switch to a larger drift boat earlier. I now row a 20' Koffler. It rows easier and carries more gear and people and you are able to fish it comfortably. If you are fishing kings or silvers, I would go bigger. If you are just using it mostly for transportation, a smaller one will do just fine. On another note, I was able to pick up my 2001 20' Koffler for $7000, outfitted with diamond plate floor, five fish on seats, rodholders and everything else to hit the water. After I peeled as much old Gluvit off the bottom and recovered it twice with new Gluvit, it rows beautifully. Take a long look at the 19' Willies if you are able to bring it up for free. My .02.

20' Willies with all the bells and whistles on CL for $8500 posted today.

I have owned a Diamond Back and several others, Doug is a great guy and makes a nice quality boat, but i wasn't really happy with the way it rowed. The boat tracked fine but took way too much effort to stop and hold in any current at all. I had a 17x54 and kept it a couple of years and sold it. You might want to look at Riverwolf. Larry makes a great boat at great prices. Willie's is also very hard to beat awsome boat as well.