Thread: garmin radar/charplotter question?

Default garmin radar/charplotter question?

ok, its time to get serious on the electronics!!...i have/am using garmin gps units all my life, ..i already have the oregan touchscreen, plus the g2 vision chip, the 420s chartplotter/fishfinder and love it,..so, i am going garmin!...i know there are others out there, but, unless you guys really can convince me that this is junk, it will be garmin....so, here is what i have in mind:

i'm thinking on going with the garmin gpsmap720s(touch screen). with the garmin 18 radar dome!.....since i already have the gpsmap420s, here is what i am thinking:

2(two) -gpsmap720s in the main cabin, each ihas its own circuit, one will be full time radar,, the other charplotter/fishfinder...with 2(two) -1 kw transducers...if one fails, have the ability to switch over to one screen/tranducer!...i already have the bluechart g2 vision chip!......in the cockpit have the ability to access the rado/chartplotterr from the front, so i guess that means networking?/......the cockpiit 420s will have its owe transducer( unless it can be tied into the existing 2 transducer easliy??......so, guys, is this pure folly, and will this work?.....feel free to trash away, as i know i have to fine tune this idea??/!!....larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I was looking at the 720's at a salmon club meeting the other night, WOW NICE, too bad it came out after I got my 4208

I'm not a Garmin expert but this is what I think I know from the research I did when purchasing my system.

The 720s is net workable with NEMA 2000 the 420s is not meaning you CANNOT share info between those two units. Each will have to have it's own transducer and GPS antenna.

2 720s units can share whatever is on the NEMA 2000 (radar, sonar, weather, GPS, engine gauges)

Your G2 vision chip will only work in the unit it is installed and is not accessable to the NEMA 2000 so if you want that chip information on both 720s units you will need two chips

The 420s will have to stand alone

I just finished my 1st season w/ my 740s w/ radar. (You mentioned 720s, did you mean 740s?) I found there was a glitch w/ my 740s. Twice in touchy situations in the fog on the copper river flats the screen froze thank God I still had my Garmin 498 or I would be a monument on some sand bar to this day whew!
    In other glitch that me and my partner (who has one as well) experienced was it would lose radar service for no reason. My radar breaker being separate from the main unit, I would just flip the radar breaker off and back on and it would work. Now then, the problems I mentioned were major and very alarming, but w/ that said, I still love my 740s and wouldn't trade it for the world! Just make sure you have your other unit booted up and running in the event you have an issue w/ your 720s.

I'm editing this cause I just googled the 720s I can't tell what the difference is between the 740s and 720s. I'd be interested to know

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I can't tell what the difference is between the 740s and 720s. I'd be interested to know
    I think the only difference is the base map that comes with it but you can go to https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148 and run a side by side comparison, hope you get the gliches taken care of, that info alwayse makes buying a hard decision for sure.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I just finished my 1st season w/ my 740s w/ radar. (You mentioned 720s, did you mean 740s?) I found there was a glitch w/ my 740s. Twice in touchy situations in the fog on the copper river flats the screen froze thank God I still had my Garmin 498 or I would be a monument on some sand bar to this day whew!
    In other glitch that me and my partner (who has one as well) experienced was it would lose radar service for no reason. My radar breaker being separate from the main unit, I would just flip the radar breaker off and back on and it would work. Now then, the problems I mentioned were major and very alarming, but w/ that said, I still love my 740s and wouldn't trade it for the world! Just make sure you have your other unit booted up and running in the event you have an issue w/ your 720s.

I'm editing this cause I just googled the 720s I can't tell what the difference is between the 740s and 720s. I'd be interested to know
    I have a Garmin GPSMap 188C and I had the same problem with the screen freezing. I only had it happen once, and I don't recall the weather conditions that day. Now a carry a back-up hand held with enough waypoints to get me back to my shrimp pots/back to port.

thanks for the input guys,.....i sent the same question to the boys at wooldridge, they are checking into this also, ..some concern over the tranducer hook ups??.....larry

hmm, it would be interesting to hear if say, raymarine or furuno freeze up the odd time?...anyone?.......as far as spares, i love my oregan gps...if i stayed on the rivers/hunting, it would be all i really nead for navigation...of course still nice to have a depth sounder on the riv too!,,..oh. plus i have a garmin Geko..just a litlle gps..pretty sweet really....so i am set as far as knowing were i am in the world....now, if planes start falling from the sky, and the gps system is shut down..there is alway ,my maps and compass(s)......,larry

Depending on when you bought your 740s, it may have been a recalled unit. When did you buy it? The first models that were available for sale had an issue with the radar overheating and not sending a signal to the display. That could have been your problem. The models for sale in the spring were all recalled(The radar was the problem, not the display itself.)

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Depending on when you bought your 740s, it may have been a recalled unit. When did you buy it? The first models that were available for sale had an issue with the radar overheating and not sending a signal to the display. That could have been your problem. The models for sale in the spring were all recalled(The radar was the problem, not the display itself.)
    griff, buddy I just lavished you w/ rep points!!! Thank you! It was the 3rd unit that Consumer Marine Electronics shipped, I ordered it when their spring catalog came out and they said it wasn't even available yet. Holy crap why haven't I got a recall notice? I'm calling consumer marine immediately! I'll let you guys know what the verdict is. What if it was recalled? I hope they can save my marks and waypoints

If it was a recalled unit you just have to send in the radar and they should ship you a new radar unit. That's how I've seen it handled elsewhere, but Consumer Marine may want the entire package back. And you should be able to get your waypoints to burn to an SD card.

hi griff and fullbrush!....do you use the unit in a cabin setting?....i dont think their unit comes with the ability to use an external antenna, or does it?.....i use the 420s in my boat with the internal antenna, but do get quite a bit of sky to see the sats so i have no problems getting a signal..thanks......larry

I use an external antenna.

Yep, it has an internal antenna but you can buy an external one. It just plugs right in. Really easy.

good stuff!! thanks!

I saw a Garmin package (Radar) being sold at WM. Touchscreed and radar package for around $3K I think. Not sure on the price. I have been told Garmen is good cause of the touch screen. I have an older Lowrance in my riverboat. I am told the newer Lowances has better fish finding capibilities, but I don't use that part too much.............

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/