Thread: .375 winchester

Default .375 winchester

lately i have been testing a .375 winchester ported barrel on my "new model" contender. this 14" barrel by thompson-center is a daisy, and is altogether pleasant to shoot ( unlike my 45-70 barrel ).

cronograph tests with a heavy speer 270 gr bullet and imr 4064 powder run nearly 2300 fps, ejecting smoothly w/o undue case stretching.

i like the caliber, but am dissapointed with available low velocity bullets...and wonder about field exposier/ game effectiveness. anyone have suggestions?
    happy trails.
    jh

pinehavensredrocket:

For jacketed I like the 255gr Barnes Original and cast the Beartooth 265gr.
    Afflicted by condition human

e.45colt; thanks for the tip! have you tried it on game? i will look into that barnes bullet ( am a barnes fan anyway) which might be just about right for my posted velocity.
    jh
    happy trails.
    jh

e45colt gave me the same recommendations in regards to my 375 Encore. He was on the money! I love the Beartooth bullet. I shot a big Iowa whitetail doe last December using that bullet. The wound channel was on par with that of a 20 ga deer slug. Later in the year I was given a depredation tag to help thin the deer heard a bit. I had by then shot up the few Beartooths that I had. So I used some loaded ammo that came with the gun. They were Sierra 200 gr FPs. They also will kill deer but you want to hit them in the boiler room because they are designed to expand at lower velocity....splatter might be a better term than expand.

I will at some point give the Speer 235 gr bullet a try. They were designed for the 375HH to be used on deer size animals. They are not designed for tubular magazines but on the TC platform that issue goes out the window!