Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game bags

Default Game bags

i have seen ( and used ) game bags of all stripes in the field, from used pillow cases to black garbage bags. some folks like heavy canvas while others like the light weight and inexpensive "cheese cloth" type.

my experience is with transport, and not just protection and so personally i like the canvas quarter bags. these bags reduce the size of the load to a manageable weight, and are strong enough to support a load hanging to cool. they are sold in many stores under the name "alaska" or "wyoming" even "montana"........it seems adding a colorful title improves the sale numbers.
    my .02.
    happy trails.
    jh

I have used both that are pictured. I've been using theAlaska Game Bag for awhile and it serves me well. I also have tried the T.A.G. bags and they are also very, very good in my experience. In fact I have to go wash a couple from this last hunt.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

I've used all sorts of bags over a life-time of hunting. Some purchased, some homemade. This year I put a cow moose in T.A.G. bags and couldn't have been happier. There were guys in our camp leaving as we flew in and they had meat in the garden variety bag I've used for years. Their stuff was covered with fly eggs inside and out. I told my buddy that I had these "new" bags to try and when he put down his animal we put all but a few pieces in my new T.A.G. bags. It was interesting, what didn't go into the T.A.G. bags suffered the same fate as the aforementioned bags and we spend a good deal of time cleaning it up. What meat I had in the T.A.G bags was simply perfect. When I got back to ANC I threw them in the washing machine and they're ready for next year. I even bought another set for my midwest whitetail hunting which has just started. They served me well and I'll never use another bag if I have anything to say about it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

used the canvas bags for years... loved them.. then this year i took Tag bags along and will never NOT have them again. tag bags are the only reason my Daughters Caribou made it out OK. with out to much loss to dirt or water coming off that water shed. they are tougher then any other easy to wash and pack small
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Got to agree on the TAG bags. The flies will lay eggs through the Alaska game bags for sure. I still use the Alaska mesh bags for later hunts when it turns cold though.

Who sells these TAG bags? I would like to pick some up for next year, you guys have talked me into it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

marc taylor (member) @ wiggys in anchoage... larry bartlet sells them from his online store.. and sportmans carries them for the highest $$$ but even at 78.00 for a set of 6 moose bags they are worth it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    Who sells these TAG bags? I would like to pick some up for next year, you guys have talked me into it.
    Sportsman Warehouse has them.

I echo what the others have said. Been using TAG bags for 7 years and still have a few of the ones I started with. The new moose bags are even better, stronger and with ripstop. They held up to sawed rib bones on 2 differant bull moose this year.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    PM sent but did not know about Marc Taylors selling them also. And I was in there, must have missed that. He has good sleeping bags also.

Thanks for the replys, I will pick some up.

I went by Wiggy's to pick up some bags today, they are closed until Tuesday. It turns out Sportsman's warehouse has them too, so now I also have some. Thanks again for the replys.

While I have never used TAG bags (heard they are awesome) I specifically use the "Real McCoy" game bags. They have worked for use very well. We end up transporting meat a long ways and these bags have held up well. At some point I will try the TAG bags.

Was in Mt. View sports yesterday and saw a new bag. Was bright orange and I think the name was Goate? Had an integraged strap for hanging. Looked interesting but were $$$$. I think $34 for a 72 inch bag.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

thanks to everyone's input this information is really helpful! well done!
    happy trails.
    jh

Default how big is big?

On any bag you are buying, can you cut a moose into 4 pieces and bag them? We normally cut them laterally near the second to last rib, cut off the head at the atlas, and then run down the spine. The front quarters have the neck and shoulder.
    Vince said something about a "set of 6" moose bags. I have not seen many moose with 6 quarters. So, what will fit? And keep in mind I am thinking about moose like we shot this year in the 700lb to 850lb range hanging hide free on the bone.

hi rat! we bone out everything to reduce weight, and improve cooling. keeping the meat clean is( one of ) the biggest part of meat management. bag size is usually not a problem....it is the weight! good luck!!
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    On any bag you are buying, can you cut a moose into 4 pieces and bag them? We normally cut them laterally near the second to last rib, cut off the head at the atlas, and then run down the spine. The front quarters have the neck and shoulder.
    Vince said something about a "set of 6" moose bags. I have not seen many moose with 6 quarters. So, what will fit? And keep in mind I am thinking about moose like we shot this year in the 700lb to 850lb range hanging hide free on the bone.

Greg, 6 bag in one pack = 4 legs in own bag... 2 ribs in one bag... and loose meat in in 1 bag = 6... i like to have 2 more on hand.

th moose size tag bags come in bundles of 6 where the caribou size tag bags come in bundles of 5... it is kind a need to know thing when your running getting last min stuffs.

meet on face book here

Default To Bone or Not to Bone

We never bone moose. Well, not never, but it's been 15 years or more since we shot a moose 3 miles back across a swamp. Since then, never. What I've seen is that the more cuts you make, the more chances there are to get the meat dirty and have waste. Then there are also GMU that mandate keeping the meat on the bone.
    As I said earlier, we keep the moose in 4 pieces. We have at least 4 hunters and up to 6, so handling the meat that way is not hard to do. Even if we have to stretcher it out of the woods or use the wheeled mule. Even getting it up on the hanging rack or in and out of boats is pretty easy with that many hands.
    Vince, it does not sound like you are boning most of your moose. Are you taking the hind legs off at the pelvis/ball joint, or cutting the spine? The way we do it the leg is pretty long. Do the TAG bags fit the big pieces? You also said you put 2 ribs in a bag. 2 ribs off of a big bodied moose is quite a pile. Can you still do it when the animal is 1/2 the size of an elephant?

Greg i cut the hinds at the ball and bone up around the but and pelvic to the back strap leaving that attached to the joint. yes the large Tags do cover them nicely... this year 2 of the three moose we did were over 1200 lbs, the ribs are also on the bone... i cut them below the strap, and then slice them down between the ribs to make them fit and stack them in the bag so that air will still circulate... i do not remove the spine/pelvic from the field on a typical moose. those are boned out... the smaller Bou bags will still work but do not reach the long front shoulder when cut at the knee/hock joint..... the real benefit is that they are Dang tough in the brush and rock and wet. they clean exceptionally easy with little staining

here is a pic of Forum member with a full rear on his shoulder in a tag bag. these were the smaller bou bags that my partner picked up on mistake.

see the rest here....http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...00000477065010

meet on face book here

Thanks for the great comments about the TAG Bags.

Just a reminder that when you get them bloody, just soak them in Oxi Clean for a few hours before machine washing. I prefer to hang dry mine, but it is okay to tumble dry. Shouldn't shrink at all.

If stubborn blood stains are present after washing, do NOT dry them yet...a soak in water and regular bleech will usually remove the stains. If you dry them with stains present, you might find the stains get locked in.

Cheers, and thanks for using our game bags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast