Thread: blackpowder shotgunners?

Default blackpowder shotgunners?

Anyone else into them? I'm just getting into it and could use some pointers.....

Just getting set up, think I'm ready to start blowing lead.

Default Black powder

I have a Thompson center 12ga that I bought back in 93, a friend of mine got me started with it and he and I really use to have allot of fun hunting dove with them. It would take us all day to get our limit. Since I've been up here I have taken several grouse with it as well as a few rabbits. I have always used #6 shot and prefer black powder but it is harder to get up here so I use pyrodex now. As far as wads go I just use the paper type all though I have used the felt in the past. I have always enjoyed shooting mine and I'm sure that you will to.

boy there is no other blackpowder shotgunners in here?

I hunted extensively for ptarmigan, snowshoes and ducks with a Navy Arms double 12 until steel shot requirements came along. No bismuth available then for waterfowl, so I dumped it. Worst mistake of my life! Still trying to find a replacement. Pedersoli makes a nice double in 20, 12 and 10, but with chokes. That can be a bit problematic when it comes to seating wads and overshot cards, so I haven't made the jump yet.

With mine I used WAA12 Red wads, leaving the petals whole for near-full choke performance, cutting them in half for mod and about 1/4-length for IC choke patterns. Worked really well, and I could regularly score on ducks over decoys out to 30-35 yards with 1 1/4 oz of #5's or #6's. For whatever reason my gun never liked #4's. I used pyrodex all the time with no problems. Got a couple of geese with the #5's one day when they came in real close, but would have used #2's instead if I had been planning on geese. A double barrel is kinda useless for white snowshoe hares on white snow with all that white smoke. By the time the smoke clears enough to see, it's too late for a second shot.

pedersoli also makes those same guns without chokes. Mine is a 10 gauge pedersoli from dixie gun works, no chokes.

Thanks for the idears, where ya located? I'm in Fairbanks, feel free to email me if ya want to check it out.

I havent shot mine yet, STILL waiting on a 10 gauge cleaning jag before I go out. Be nice to get home and take care of it instead of waiting for weeks for the right jag to get here.