Thread: Experience with Hornady .270 150 gr SST??

Default Experience with Hornady .270 150 gr SST??

I recently picked up a .270 on a whim and am looking for a starting point on what I will shoot in it. Intended use will be my truck gun and I may shoot black bear, caribou, sheep or moose with it. I'm looking for a tough, reliable high BC load that is widely available. I was thinking of trying the new Hornady Super Performance 150gr SST first and was hoping somebody had some feed back on how they shot and performed. Thanks

What about Federal's 150 gr Trophy bonded tip? The BC is not as high, but it looks like a pretty tough bullet?

How about, does anybody shoot at animals with a .270 Winchester?

I would ship the SST for the InterLock for a base bullet. I have shot moose and elk with the 150gr partition so that would be my top pick. The 140gr Accubond is another option . I now resurve the 270win for caribou and lighter game so its my long range deer gun and for that the 140gr AB fits perfectly. I have a 35whelen and a 358win I use for elk and moose now even for black bear but for the latter the 270 is fine.

From the two factory loads you mention, and game you mention, I would sure look at the 150 Trophy bonded tip. I would never consider shooting a moose with an SST. I am a Hornady fan, but the SST experience's I have had does not make it a good moose bullet. I don't have any experinece with the new Trophy bonded tip, but the older Trophy bonded bear claws were good tough bullets if they shot well out of your rifle. My personal experience with the SST's is that they open up more quickly than the standard interlock bullets of same weight/caliber.

I sure haven't been able to figure out why Hornady loads the SST in their super line versus the interbond... The SST is a great deer type bullet, especially at long range, but personal experience has shown me that it is not reliable at less than 100 yards on anything except coyotes and varmints. I have seen them blow up more than once on close shots on deer.

I have made the 140gr Accubond my universal bullet in my .270. I have good loads for the 150gr Partition and two 130 gr loads that are very accurate but the Accubond wins in my eyes.

One of my 130gr loads is the Interbond which shoots great. I used to use SST's but switched to the Interbond for a tougher pill. They are ballistic equals but the SST is more frangible. I never had an issue with the SST's on deer but one did separate violently at close range (3080fps muzzle) and I decided to try other options. Deer was DRT but it was messy.

For what you posted as your intended hunt, I would feel best prepared with a Partition, Accubond, Interbond or TSX in any of the 130 - 150gr weights.

Get the Interbond and not the SST. I lost a goat who went cliff diving after I hit it three times in the pocket 180 grain SST Hornady Superperformance 30/06(shoulder, heart lung area). It marched 150 yards after three hits. Looked over the rocks at me and jumped off the cliff. This happened earlier in September. I loved the accuracy of them. They just don't hit critters right.
    I am still ticked off about it. It is the first animal that I have ever lost to poor bullet performance. It got wedged up on a stone pocket and I couldn't get to it. I had to file all of the paper work with the biologist and Trooper and will never go down that sst road again.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Get the Interbond and not the SST. I lost a goat who went cliff diving after I hit it three times in the pocket 180 grain SST Hornady Superperformance 30/06(shoulder, heart lung area). It marched 150 yards after three hits. Looked over the rocks at me and jumped off the cliff. This happened earlier in September. I loved the accuracy of them. They just don't hit critters right.
    I am still ticked off about it. It is the first animal that I have ever lost to poor bullet performance. It got wedged up on a stone pocket and I couldn't get to it. I had to file all of the paper work with the biologist and Trooper and will never go down that sst road again.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    I understand your frustration, but without a necropsy of the goat there is no way to be certain that the SST is at fault. Bullet failures absolutely happen, and it may be the case here, but without more information than "I hit it three times in the pocket" you can't be certain at what the bullet did or did not do. FWIW, killing goats is not asking for a lot of penetration with broadside presentation so it's hard to know how a 180 grain .30 caliber bullet could fail to deliver adequate penetration--at least I can't know how without a necropsy. Of course YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Default I don't know man.

I had a similar situation with a 55 inch moose that I shot up on the Tyone Creek area with a 7mm Rem Mag and 175 Grain Nosler Partitions that failed to open. While this goat wasn't covered with ice like that moose was, the bullets visibly hit the shoulder area about 1/3 the way down the front shoulder on all three shots. I call this spot the pocket because while it might impact the meat in normally knocks the critter down. This was at 200 yards broad side with my model 52 Cooper in 30/06 that puts them within an inch at 250yards.

I am not some chechaker but I have hunted much all over much of it solo. I have shot quite a number of animals in the last 33 years of hunting in Alaska much of it in the Bush. I grew up in the Basin(in the 70s and 80s) when the hunting was good, hunted and lived in Ambler for several years and hunted moose, bears and caribou in Nulato for several years as well. I have pictures but they were taken on those cheap disposable 35 mm cameras. I also go to the range quite a bit and get the best stuff possible. Anything is possible and operator error is always a possibility but that doesn't mean that the bullets did not work. This wasn't a small Billy but one big sucker that I worked on who was on a shoulder about 175 yards from the drop off.

It is still up there and I am still upset.

My career choice of being a teacher doesn't give me much time to hunt so I do when I can.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I am not some chechaker but I have hunted much all over much of it solo. I have shot quite a number of animals in the last 33 years of hunting in Alaska much of it in the Bush. I grew up in the Basin(in the 70s and 80s) when the hunting was good, hunted and lived in Ambler for several years and hunted moose, bears and caribou in Nulato for several years as well. I have pictures but they were taken on those cheap disposable 35 mm cameras. I also go to the range quite a bit and get the best stuff possible. Anything is possible and operator error is always a possibility but that doesn't mean that the bullets did not work. This wasn't a small Billy but one big sucker that I worked on who was on a shoulder about 175 yards from the drop off.
    Not certain why you included the short biographical sketch, but glad to hear you've been hunting for some 33 years. I do not even know what a "chechaker" is, but I am fairly confident I am not one either.

I guess I misunderstood your post. The only criticism I've heard or experienced with SSTs has to do with limited penetration. I think you are suggesting that you had adequate penetration, but that a lack of expansion allowed the billy to make it off the cliff. I'd think that three .30 caliber hits through heart/lungs/shoulder with zero expansion would anchor most animals. A necropsy would have shed significant light upon this.

I meant to imply in my post that for hunting goats I'd prefer bullets that give more expansion and less penetration which is the design characteristics of the SST. I suppose if you had placed only one shot "in the pocket" I'd be more inclined to think "bullet failure", but IMO three hits indicate something is amiss beyond the performance of the SSTs. While I share your sentiments on the overall experience and would be ticked myself, that particular situation would not (point of fact, it does not) affect my impression of the SST. As always YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.