Thread: Best icefishing lake for pike in Southcentral (on road system)?

Default Best icefishing lake for pike in Southcentral (on road system)?

I've heard Fire Lake has some pike, but I also heard they're pretty small. Does anyone know which lakes are accessible on the road system in Mat-Su/Anchorage or out the Glenn that might have some decent sized pike for this winter?
    Thanks for any advice. (Not looking for your hot spot on the lake, of course.)

the bottom line the bigger the lake the better it could give up what, get a map out an look Finger lake is one an the other is up the road by willow [town] long lake, & Nancy lake system that has the best posibality for what you want good luck

I don't know of any pike lakes on the Glenn close to Anchorage except Fire Lake in Eagle River and reports have been abysmal lately. After that, you would need to head out near Tok.

Nancy Lake may be slow fishing, but they are in there!

Mike

I just read in the Alaska star that Lower Fire Lake in Eagle River is producing pike. I'd also try the Nancy Lakes area. Red shirt lake?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Abysmal is a great decription of the pike fishing in Fire Lake. 6-7 years ago, I would go out and catch 8-10 pike a day while ice fishing, but I haven't caught or even seen a pike in the last two years, but not for lack of trying.

Big Lake is getting some large pike in it anymore, try some of sloughs and back channels.

Redshirt still has some big fish in it.... they are hard to find but they are there.

Nancy lake does too, but again, you will be working at it.

For my money, I go where the fish are. And it ain't on the road system.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Redshirt still has some big fish in it.... they are hard to find but they are there.
    What's the access like out there in the winter? I've been meaning to hit it for a couple of weeks, but it keeps getting bumped down the list. I even have a call into tippecanoe they haven't returned yet (of course maybe they are shut down for the year now).

I put an immense amount of resources, fuel, and time into fishing every inch of Redshirt Lake during the Mat-Su pike tournament. The fishing was lame, it's not worth the fuel costs to snow machine around there. With that said......it is a pretty place in the winter. I was in a solid 3rd place with one 36 incher, but I gave up when this guy kept reporting 30+ inchers every day coming out of trapper lake. I know this because I checked to log book to see my standings every time I logged my fish. I put my "chips" in the wrong lake. With that said, look at some of the "surrounding lakes of Redshirt" Those sizable lakes are much better fishing (less pressure). I've learned to not waste gas money ice fishing around an over-crowded "Anchorage's back yard" a long time ago. Going north is where it's at!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I put an immense amount of resources, fuel, and time into fishing every inch of Redshirt Lake during the Mat-Su pike tournament. The fishing was lame, it's not worth the fuel costs to snow machine around there. With that said......it is a pretty place in the winter. I was in a solid 3rd place with one 36 incher, but I gave up when this guy kept reporting 30+ inchers every day coming out of trapper lake. I know this because I checked to log book to see my standings every time I logged my fish. I put my "chips" in the wrong lake. With that said, look at some of the "surrounding lakes of Redshirt" Those sizable lakes are much better fishing (less pressure). I've learned to not waste gas money ice fishing around an over-crowded "Anchorage's back yard" a long time ago. Going north is where it's at!
    Thanks Mike..... Keep telling people that.
    Mike

P.S. Trapper lake is really not north.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post

Nancy lake does too, but again, you will be working at it.

For my money, I go where the fish are. And it ain't on the road system.
    Nancy has a real wall hanger in it. Have fun catching it. Better have a BIIIG hold in the ice. I might try for the hog next year.

Yeah, I guess I should of emphasized "going north". As far as a lake somewhat near the road, I'd really go for Trapper Lake. But when I was talking about going north, I actually meant a few locations up near the Tanana and the Yukon. Pike Palace Knows that spot, but that sure isnt road access.

The best lake for pike is...... Shoot. running out of ink...... The best lake fo
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Abysmal is a great decription of the pike fishing in Fire Lake. 6-7 years ago, I would go out and catch 8-10 pike a day while ice fishing, but I haven't caught or even seen a pike in the last two years, but not for lack of trying.

Very true, we fished by the island and near the stream/spring?, last winter nothing since they don;t stock it anymore maybe the Pike are running out of food...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Nancy has a real wall hanger in it. Have fun catching it. Better have a BIIIG hold in the ice. I might try for the hog next year.
    Story you want to share?

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEAK49 View Post
    Story you want to share?
    My wife and I were out in late may. Early enough in the season that we had to dodge iceburgs. Went to a "place" and first cast had a very large pike follow the lure to the boat. It just sat there looking up with the "Do I look a fool or do you" look on its face. Then it swam slowly away. No fear in the fish at all. It was definitely a wall hanger.