Thread: Etip field report

Default Etip field report

I got to shoot two animals this year with my 300 RUM and 180g etips. Muzzle velocity 3280fps.

The first was a smallish brown bear (about 250-300 pounds) at 220 lasered yards. Heart lungs, clean through like a sack of taters. No bullet recovery. Nice rug.

The second was a 50" bull moose lasered 286 yards. 4 shots to try and anchor him before he took 4 steps into the deep water. Two pass through lungs. One oops at the hind quarter found on the off side skin the other through the neck found on the off side skin.

09-29-10_2126.jpg

One bullet weighed 179 grains and the other 180. One bullet was .65 inches in diameter and the other .67.

I am very happy with the etip performance on game and out of my rifle. I get a bit more velocity, less fouling and better accuracy than the Barnes TTSX. Hope this helps. Happy hunting.

Thanks for the data. I have an accurate 180gr E-tip load for my 300RUM that I haven't put in the meat yet, your pics are promising.

Our velocities are vurtualy identical. What was your powder? Mine is as follows:

RL-25 @ 94.0gr
    CCI-250
    Nosler E-Tip 180gr .523BC
    Nosler Brass trim 2.830"
    COL ~ 3.590"
    Ogive 2.981" / .258" jump

measured velocity 3279fps

As for the moose, 1 shot will kill them in about 45 seconds, four shots will do it in 3/4 of a minute

Thanks for the data. Yea, I am sure he was dead moose walking after the first shot. Inexperience and a sincere desire to not have to pull ANOTHER moose out of deep water prompted me to keep shooting.

300 RUM factory Remington 700 SPS with a houge aluminum bedded stock, 3.5-10 zeiss scope
    180g etip
    3280 fps
    96.5g Retumbo
    Remington neck sized brass trim 2.840
    Rem 9 1/2M primers
    Lee factory crimp
    COL 3.600 (the longest that will fit in my box and the tips are still dented on the third round).
    I did not measure the distance to the lands since the rounds shoot 1 moa or better and I couldn't make them longer if I tried.

I had the exact same stock in green. Currently it's at McMillan's getting a light weight Rem Hunter style carbon stock. My rifle has a Christensen Arms carbon wrap barrel on a Rem 700 Ti action with a Vais brake. The brake cuts the recoil way down and the tips survive all the way to the last shot with one in the pipe and three in the mag. http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

I've been wanting to work on some Retumbo loads. I get the rifle back next week but I'm tied up until the end of the month with another project.

The RL-25 worked very well but the Retumbo is praised by several shooters I've run across, I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance. I do like the 180gr E-tips.

Pics are a 100 yard three shot group and a 2.5" high sight in followed by two 300 yard groups for confirmation.

DSC01603.jpgDSC01613.JPGAttachment 40003

Put the bullet through the front shoulders and they will drop like a rock. Back the velocity down to about 2700 and it won't destroy a bunch of meat either. Never mind, I'm just one of those old timers that think a 30/06 is plenty of gun.

Very impressive 300 yard groups Marshall! How do you set up - sand bags? Other?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey,

Thanks for the positive response. I load for accuracy and spend a lot of time and bullets finding what works best for the rifle in question. Every rifle has a sweet spot, the trick is finding it. Next is optics, you need good clear optics and a steady squeeze on the trigger, I like 2 pounds.

The pic on the left is the 300 RUM on the day I shot the groups in the post you mentioned. It still had the Hogue stock in this picture. It's a great stock but heavy. I'm trying to lighten this package up for mountain hunting with a new carbon stock. MY shooting set up is just a front rest and a rear bag, that's the way I like to test.

The pic on the right is my best shooting rifle. Believe it or not it's a Ruger 375, hard to believe how well that thing shoots. It has a brake and a trigger with the original Hogue stock. I also bought a .308 Ruger with a 20" barrel that shoots better than .25" at 100.

The Original Poster, (Daved) has had great results with Retumbo. I was glad to see his data since he choose the same 180gr E-Tip for his 300 RUM. I'm looking forward to trying some Retumbo in the next month or two.

DSC01610.JPGRuger 375 Alaskan.jpg

Thx Marshall!
    I have been competitive all my life in shooting sports, archery, trap, sporting clays, and yet fall a little short when it comes to patience! That sometimes will frustrate me - especially with rifles - as I know what I can do and I have to take a deep breath and go back to the reloading bench a few times to work up a good load.
    I am lucky as I own a 80 acre farm and have a very nice range set up on it with good benches and level ground out to 250 yards. Some days though I can have great groups and go back another day - same gun, same load and go from 3/4in groups to 2in! Usually I make some kind of error in my sandbag set up I think, getting older and jittery doesn't help!
    I do not usually cut any corners with guns or scopes - I have several Leupy's and enjoy the challenge of finding the best load for sure. Like you, one of my "suprise" guns for accuracy is a Marlin 1895XLR in 4570 - I had a new trigger put in ( 3lbs ), new lever also. With a Leupold 2x7x33 and 325gn Hornady loads it is unbelievably accurate out to 200 yards....
    Thx for the sandbag pic...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....