Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BLACK BEARS........anyone want one......? Been seeing about three per day.

Default BLACK BEARS........anyone want one......? Been seeing about three per day.

You have to be young and tough. They are high eating the berries. But I am seeing one to three black bear at the same time behind the cabin up in the alpine. Suggest start down the Hope Road at first light (6:45 AM) and glass the open alpine on the west side (You can't cross Six-mile Creek, so don't waste time looking to the East). For reasons I don't understand they feed North to South and stay at roughly the same elevation while feeding.

After mile post 9 it is pointless to glass. So either work back up the Hope Road, or go to Palmer Creek and shoot Black Bears there. I saw three this morning above mile post 8, and all were single bears, no cubs. Good hunting. Yes it is steep to get up there.

Have you been back to Palmer Creek Rd lately. We spotted a Big boy this spring I screwed up and let him walk. I'll be there in 2 weeks think it'll still be ok out that way?

I've not been back Palmer Creek after the snow melted. Palmer Creek pretty much parallels the Hope Road, but one valley over. I did see a large Black Bear above mile 8 on Monday.

10-4 maybe see you around and thanks for the info this spring. You alone made my hunt successful even though I didn't pulll the trigger. That part is on me.

are four wheelers allowed on palmer creek trails

Dont believe ATVs are allowed on palmer creek trail/rd(past the no maintenance sign). I was up there a few days ago just for a drive and brought my rifle and optics incase. Thanks for the tips AGL4now, I need some more meat in the freezer!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter83 View Post
    are four wheelers allowed on palmer creek trails
    NO......and the Natl' Forest Service Rangers and the AK. State Troopers have been giving lots of tickets, even to the locals who do not own a car, for riding in town (Hope).

tough place to park along the hope road. be careful if you slow down to glass, watch for traffic.

There is a good pull-out 50' before mile post #5 and you can glass a lot of the hillside from mile 4 to mile 6.5 from that one spot.

It looks like we are in for some skanky weather Fri. & Sat.

While Palmer Creek Road is a cool area with great habitat, it gets hit hard by bear hunters. I have spent a lot of time up there, and I rarely see bears - and those I do see are often already being chased. If you want some bears to yourself for stalking, Palmer Creek would not be my first choice. What AGL describes about Hope Road, though...you'll be all alone. On a side note, there are places where crossing Six Mile is pretty easily done in a packraft. You just need to pick your spot wisely and get across quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    On a side note, there are places where crossing Six Mile is pretty easily done in a packraft. You just need to pick your spot wisely and get across quickly.
    Perry Cutler Colson used to do it on a raft of logs.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

It's nice to see people sharing hunting info instead of hiding it. It's too far for me to travel, but thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Perry Cutler Colson used to do it on a raft of logs.
    Remember "Blue Tarp Amy" She crossed it naked several times in eleven days, spent most of the eleven days naked waving too the rafters, she was found alive up Gulch Creek under a Blue Tarp.

Do you suppose the weather will push the bears out of the alpine? I was planning on making the trip to the Peninsula tomorrow but I won't bother if I can't find the bears. I did make a stalk on a very nice bear yesterday in Palmer Creek. He winded us about 200 yards away and slipped into the alders never to be seen again.....

No.....the issue would be the fog, low clouds, and visibility. Yes, one of the ones I see every other day is a very large Black Bear.

Ya that is what I figured. My new plan is to get up high early on and than walk the ridge line and hope to spot one below me. It seems that every time I try to stalk one from below I can't get to them quickly enough. They either wind me or they just decide to mosey on before I can get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Remember "Blue Tarp Amy" She crossed it naked several times in eleven days, spent most of the eleven days naked waving too the rafters, she was found alive up Gulch Creek under a Blue Tarp.
    Story please. Haven't heard that one.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Story please. Haven't heard that one.
    Rather that retell a long story, I refer you to:http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ight=Blue+tarp
    What is interesting is that the real Amy, joined this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Ya that is what I figured. My new plan is to get up high early on and than walk the ridge line and hope to spot one below me. It seems that every time I try to stalk one from below I can't get to them quickly enough. They either wind me or they just decide to mosey on before I can get to them.
    Try this next time. Most likely the bears are feeding in the same areas everyday. Find a spot they are using and hike into position and stay downwind of the place you expect to see them and just sit there and watch the area and put your stalk on from your hide, fresh and in a better position to make a kill. I would hunt until dark, I have found thus technique highly effective. The evening wind is cooler and should be blowing downhill, use the wind, use the wind, use the wind. Bears are all nose.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

OK, reference the "Blue Tarp Amy" suggest you start here as it is a long thread:http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ue+tarp&page=3 This is where Amy joins the conversation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast