Thread: Eklutna Moose hunt

Question Eklutna Moose hunt

I've got a tag for this hunt and i'm looking for somone with a canoe or Pro P or something similar to go with me. Plan is to paddle the far shoreline and search for a bull moose. I've got the calling experience and gear to get one out, I just don't have the boat. If we are successful I will happily split the meat with whomever wants to do this. I plan on going up there on Friday and possibly Sunday. Shoot me a pm if your interested.

John, you know you are welcomed to use my boat if you want. pm if you want it is in fai though

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've got a canoe you can borrow, although it's just a 15' coleman so it might be a couple of trips to get a moose out. Shoot me a pm if you want to take it.

I'm working the whole weekend or I'd volunteer to take my raft.

off of Jeff P's comment. If fai is as in fairbanks I am here until friday. I only have a company car; an impala. Dont know what kind of boat it is, but if i can strap it down I'll be glad to lug it down to ANC and go out with you to try and take one down. I was just there this last weekend and didnt see any but you never know. Ill have to get perm from the company but Im sure it wont be a prob if it can work

Check the regs - I think you can only use small electric motors on Eklutna lake.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Wasn't planning on using any motor for this, just paddles but I guess you were just looking out for me jmg?

Appreciate the offer guys, I found a boat and a possible partner to go with me.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Wasn't planning on using any motor for this, just paddles but I guess you were just looking out for me jmg?
    Ooops, missed the paddling part in the original post. Sorry about that.

PM sent about the Eklutna area.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

howd u make out?

Inquiring minds want to know !

You drove past my place and you didnt stop by for a beer? I live next to the lake! Got the permit too, haven't seen a bull since this spring! lots of bears and sheep. How did you do John?

I was out there that weekend. Lake was nasty. Seen 3 grounded canoes. Once you got past the 4 mile mark or so it got even worse around that point on the south side.

I also heard that there is only 4 bulls allowed to be harvested then the area is closed. Never looked on the web yet for that info. I have not heard of any being killed out there. Seen evidence of the horses going back in the East fork area. People complain about dog poop, atleast they don't 10# of it at once righ in the middle of the trail!

I talked to a sheep hunter who had spotted a moose and two bear hunters back at the campground who saw atleast one cow. I have seen tracks and scat, but no moose yet. There had been lots of hunters early in the morning road hunting and a few back along the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I also heard that there is only 4 bulls allowed to be harvested then the area is closed.
    5 bulls is the quota.

Sorry I haven't relplied ot this thread sooner, been busy getting some things done around the house before the snow falls. Anways, I went up yesterday morning to see what I could see on the wheeler. Man was it chilly!! I rode all the way to the east fork bridge, saw a ton of sheep, 2 huge black bears and a lot of hunters. I know there was 1 moose taken in the burn area at the end of the lake but other than that, no more have been taken. I also talked to a sheep hunter that was camped back past the lake and he said he had heard a bull raking a tree a few days ago but he may have moved on.

I've got a Pro P in my garage and am thinking about using it to cruise the shore line. I did see one camp on the other side and a single green canoe but that was about it. Dog, you say you live up there?? What kind of access do you have into the Eklutna River or do you have any at all? I

Yeppers, live up by the lake. Don't know about access to the river, other then you can get to it via a road at the ranger check in cabin entering the camp ground. We ride the wheelers to and beyond the lake often via a trail from the house. Seen a nice sow blackie w/cub on the hill side from the porch yesterday. Yes, it was cold that morning! :-)... The GF saw a bull last week with a cow on the road, been a couple rig's parked in that area off an on so he's been pushed. Other then that, I haven't seen a bull since spring time! Been glassing, just seem to find bears and sheep!