Thread: change in the weather

Default change in the weather

NWS is calling for snow showers this evening and tonight, then a warming trend through the first of next week (Tanana Valley).

What should we expect this to mean for the ducks? Are they going to pick up and leave with the weather front or do you think they'll stick around for a while longer? The dog (and hunter) really want to get out for one more weekend.

I saw quite a few ducks moving today actually alot more than i have seen for the past week or so. This was near the airport and the flats near the range.

I've been out there quite a bit, but not much in the past week. It seemed like after the first week, the local ducks quit hanging out by the range. Several of them quit flying around over there because they migrated to my freezer, but the last time I went I only saw a single and a flock over the river. That was probably last Wednesday. I might take a walk out there after work.

More snow flying around in Fairbanks... it hasn't been cold yet so I think there should be some ducks left. Any report from down toward Delta in the past couple of days? If they're not already gone, they should be moving this week/weekend.

I thought all the geese were gone until this morning saw 2 different flocks of canada geese over the house this morning around 8 am

One week at a time, we have to keep reporting that all the geese are not gone. The prevailing flow is from the south, and I think some of the snows migrating from Siberia got pushed up the Yukon. I saw three flocks over the river while I was hunting bunnies this afternoon. I guess the could have been specks... they make the same noise and it was snowing. I've already stored my motor and put away the boat or I'd sneak out there with some rags and try to get a honker or two.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

By "over the river," I mean the Tanana... that comment about the Yukon was the drainage in general. I digress.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.