Thread: how to skin for this?

Default how to skin for this?

So my mom is lucky enough to have Delta bison tag, we'll be hunting this weekend. I'll be her guide and will take the head/hide as she wants no part of it. If we are lucky to get a nice bull then I'll probably shoulder mount, something smaller will probably be a euro and tan the whole hide. Was thinking I'd rather not make that decision in the field. I guess you would skin to the brisket like you were rugging, then access the head with the typical skin up the back, say from the top of the hump forward? Sound about right?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

If you know you are doing a shoulder mount.. Make a cut all the way around the animal 6-10" behind the front legs, tube the front legs ant the knees and cut up the back of the leg on the inside where the shorter and long hair meet.. your know it when you see it.. Skin as far foreward as possible to the neck.. their heavy so you will need a hoist or a couple strong people.. Skin as far as you can and sever the neck.. Or if you wish, make a incision at the base of the skull and go straight back down the top of the neck parting it like a zipper.. Peel down and foreward.. Sever the head at the skull.. skin out the rest of the animal and you can have a backhide tanned and a shoulder mount..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    If you know you are doing a shoulder mount.. Make a cut all the way around the animal 6-10" behind the front legs, tube the front legs ant the knees and cut up the back of the leg on the inside where the shorter and long hair meet.. your know it when you see it.. Skin as far foreward as possible to the neck.. their heavy so you will need a hoist or a couple strong people.. Skin as far as you can and sever the neck.. Or if you wish, make a incision at the base of the skull and go straight back down the top of the neck parting it like a zipper.. Peel down and foreward.. Sever the head at the skull.. skin out the rest of the animal and you can have a backhide tanned and a shoulder mount..
    Thanks Hoyt. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds here ~! i'd like to preserve the option to do either a shoulder or just tan the entire hide. I'm not real excited about having to make the decision in the field, so wondering if I could skin in a way that would allow me to do both?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

You could.. but an animal that size and laying on the ground will be difficult.. If you have a tractor and a bucket you could hoist it up and get it all in one peice.. On the ground.. a Bison hide lifesize minus the feet (green/raw) will weight i n excess of 200 lbs with the head in it.. Hoisting it up, the weight of the hide and gravity will work togeather.. Being in the bush though its not practical though.. If you cut it and go with the cape option, the backhide will be shorter.. basically square, if you want the whole backhide and not the cape, then the cuts will be different.. Pm me your number... typing it will take all day.. In short, skin it like a bear for a rug.. up the gut and down the back of all the legs, peel everything foreward and sever the head at the base of the skull.. and the legs at the ankles.. you will have 1 HUGE peice of bison hide.. then you have the option of doing a lifesize, backhide, or heck even a rug.. LOL.. Don't cut forward of (between the front legs) your taxidermist will appreaciate it.. Start the cut at the bottom of the brisket to the anus.

[QUOTE=Hoytguy;811669]If you know you are doing a shoulder mount.. Make a cut all the way around the animal 6-10" behind the front legs, tube the front legs ant the knees and cut up the back of the leg on the inside where the shorter and long hair meet.. QUOTE]

I'm not sure I follow this. You said tube the front legs and then cut up the back of the leg. Why tube it and then cut it? Whenever I tube anything there is no cut so maybe I am just not following this or understand exactly what you are describing.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I meant ring it around the knee and cut up the back of the front leg on the inside.. as big as a bison is I dont think it would be possible to tube out a front leg like say a bou or a deer.. Not saying it cant be done.. but with snow, cold temps. freezing as such up in Delta..it would be tough as a bison shoulder will weight in excess of 150lbs. their hides alone are a 2 man carry.