Thread: Need new Duck Hunting Partner, Have a large square stern and the good spots

Default Need new Duck Hunting Partner, Have a large square stern and the good spots

My duck hunting buddy moved back home and we'd been hunting the same prime locations for about three years. I have a large square sterned canoe with a lift. I can go anywhere I need to. This is the time when the ducks start coming down south so I need to get on em. I would prefer someone that has calls and decoys. If you have a good set-up, shoot me a pm and maybe we can get out there. Here's a pick of my son and his freinds n I haulin a s s down rabbit slough. The boat is 17.5 ft. long, 44 inches wide, and I run a 9.8 tohatsu. We just pushed up 20 mile river recently too, quite a ways up.

bow rope.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

i sent a pm

Hey mainer I need a buddy, too. I'm born alaskan, but new to duck hunting. I have a large square stern aluminum michicraft canoe and a 2.5hp evinrude. I also have my hunters ed card and permit for ACWR if anyone wants to go tromp around down there.

If you, or kwack, or anyone for that matter need a hunting buddy I'm up for it. big time. Thanks guys

tailwind, why don't you and local member PG13 load up in the truck and come visit me for a long weekend next month - he doesn't want to make the trip alone and there are plenty of ducks for three up here... if you get here before it freezes (37 this morning, so it might not be very long)
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    he doesn't want to make the trip alone and there are plenty of ducks for three up here...
    I never said I was scared to take the trip alone, just that I needed a good excuse to convince the wife that staying home with the kids while I went North was a good idea. Buy ya, road trip sounds awesome.
    Go Big Red!

If anybody has room, I'd like to go, too. I may not actually hunt, as I'm not able to find ammo for my guns, but I'd like to work the dog some. Also have AK Hunter Ed (FL too).

I haven't done much duck hunting in Alaska, but I'm a fairly decent shot and I have a 20' go devil mud boat with a 35 hp go devil surface drive and a dozen decoys. I'm retired so my times to hunt are flexible and I'm open to travel. I'm short on places to hunt though. Give me a shout if I'd fit into your party.

where are you located nick? After 5 years membership you still can't receive pm's

I'm heading out on some scout missions sat/sun in the valley

I'm in Palmer and open this weekend if you want company, tailwind. Got my email updated too

edit: got your email

I'm available mid-week if anyone else needs a hand. I have dekes and 1/4 way decent dog.

I appreciate folks wanting to hunt ducks with me but I won't be duck hunting this year too much. I may get a trip in though and I'll keep yah folks in mind. I still have a smaller royalex Esquif Cargo canoe but I'm lacking a 6.5 copperhead motor. My larger canoe is just too big to drag to my prime spots. I'm extremely busy this year and may get a chance after moose hunting season. Late season is the best time anyways as that's when the ducks come to my spots in good numbers.

SkinnyD,
    How's the move going? You going to be ready to bust some birds in a few days? And if it freezes on us I'll bring a axe to brake it up.

PG13,
    can't say your wife is like mine but if I tell her I'll be bring meat home to put in the freezer she's all for me going! Come up and join us and bring tailwind with you like SkinnyD said. After all, more guns means more birds right?!

Terry

Road trip!!! Just bring your baby PG13, I have extra baby buckets!

That's nine plus howevermany dangling off the other side. Amazing.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the move today. Now I'm a resident of the famous (or infamous) North Pole community. Mostly I need to clean some more - I'm paid up in the old house for another couple of weeks though, so if any of you are good at getting mold off a wall, feel free to stop by and lend your expertise.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Mainer, I was wandering if you wouldn't mind adding or sending some pictures of the lift for your motor? I finally came across a motor for mine and I need to make some sort of lift but not sure how. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Anyone wanna head up rabbit slough early tomorrow morning? I'm gonna take my freighter canoe and outboard out there and I could use an extra set of hands and some weight for the front of the boat.

I am new to Alaska but hunting ducks since I was 18- now 43. I have 2 dozen decoys, 1/2 dozen goose decoys, calls (pretty good at calling and spoting) huge camo net, just looking for a hunting partner. I have a 4 wheeler also. Need a boat now and a place to go

hey kwack check your flippin' PM box!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by laramy1313 View Post
    Mainer, I was wandering if you wouldn't mind adding or sending some pictures of the lift for your motor? I finally came across a motor for mine and I need to make some sort of lift but not sure how. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    I applogize for not responding to this in a timely manner.

PM me for a list of things you need. This lift design is stationary but adjustable. It's for shallow rivers, rocks, weeds, and mud/silt. The lift is in use on three canoes. Two of them are in use with moose hunters in fairbanks on my older canoes that I've sold. The other is in use by FamilyMan on his albany. Every canoe has special dimnesions and always requires custom fabrication. The other bennefits of this lift with an outboard motor is keeping your water pump grabbing clean water no matter how much mud/weeds gets blown out the back of the prop. If you should need help with the lift, I now have a working canoe fabrication shop. here is a link to one of the lifts:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/88159-Building-a-lift-and-more-for-this-Scott-Albany-canoe