Thread: Using Beaver for Trapping Bait

Default Using Beaver for Trapping Bait

I searched the archives but found no answer. When one uses beaver for trap sets, is the meat alone used or can the guts be used as well? Should it be aged before it's frozen or frozen fresh? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    PC gag in place.

Some age it, but I never have and it works great. Guts are fine too. I use lure with the beaver meat, but it is stinky as it is. I usually wait till everything is frozen and just take an axe and cut it as needed.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I don't age mine but some get aged if the freezer gets full and we have a warm spell. It dosen't seem to make a difference. Like Alaskan I use guts and all whole carcasses at bait piles and small pieces of meat for marten or smaller critters. Like he said just chop off a frozen piece of the size desired. For marten I will chop up prior to freezing and run a wire through the meat then freeze that way I am ready to go when I make the set no messing around makes getting a set done much quicker and easie. I don't use guts on marten sets.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I do that same as alaskan22, and otterman, but I will freeze in supports and old snares in my whole beaver so when I make a bait pile I can tie off bait so it doesn't get drug off.