Thread: Legal Bull?

Default Legal Bull?

Hey guys,
    Need some help. Is this a legal bull in a 50" or three brow tine unit? I've been watching this guy for a couple of years now and I don't think he's going to make it to 50". This year he sprouted a small third tine on the left side. Is he now a shooter?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

He is close, but too close for me to pull the trigger on if I was in a 50" area. Good luck!

That really looks like three browtines on the right antler, but it's hard to tell. I think he's a mid 40's bull from that picture though. I wouldn't shoot him based on the 50" rule, but I'd be going blind in the spotting scope checking out those brow tines!

It would be questionable but maybe seeing him from another angle would help with the browntines.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I agree with what has been said above. Good chance that next year will be the year for that bad boy though a decent spotter should provide the final call on whether or not there is enough tines on the other side. I would not bet my rifle on him making 50"!

Give me the gps coordinates for where you saw him and I'll go check him out myself next fall.

He looks like he has a third brow tine to me, but as others have said, a better angle would be necessary before I'm pulling the trigger.

Ditch the camera and take a spotting scope. You quite likely missed out on a legal bull, messing around with the camera. Wait for the Kodak Moment until after the animal is laying on the ground.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'd say no on the 50 inches, but maybe on the 3 brow tines

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Looks like he's still in velvet in this pic. When was it taken? Have you seen him after he shed his velvet? I agree with AKRes, I think you may have passed on a legal bull, but good on ya for leaving the safety on till you are sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    It would be questionable but maybe seeing him from another angle would help with the browntines.
    Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    He is close, but too close for me to pull the trigger on if I was in a 50" area. Good luck!
    What they said. Looks like a great bull. A different angle/view would help, but he looks close either way.

Tim

Just remember, they lose 5" when they hit the ground! I'm guessing he is mid 40's as well...don't know about the brow tines but he is walking toward us, maybe the next pic will be more definitive!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks everyone. This is the best photo taken, but I spent a lot of time glassing him. The right side looks kinda like a three from the angle, it's actually only two. For two years he's had the two large brow tines on both side and this year the little one in the middle of the left side showed up. This photo is from the last week of August. I was suprised to see the velvet too. Sorry Brian, no gps coordinates here. I'm always lost when I find him....................... Maybe I'll remember were he is after I have him down, wink wink.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhunt View Post
    This year he sprouted a small third tine on the left side.
    Before next season, you or I one needs to go to the optometrist for an exam. Or to a Dr to see if one of us is Dislexic. I fail to see any small tine on his left antler. Make sure your lens' are wiped down good before you glass him next year.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Okay. His right and left side in the photo. ? From left to right: one rounded knobby point, new small point, long narrow point (left side in photo). The last two years has been two long points on both sides (brow tines). Here's another picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The second photo is of no help to me but in the first photo there "appears" to be 3 brow tines ( must be an inch long beofre it is an inch wide ). If there are 3 legit tines he is legal, as far as 50"... no way .

We passed on one the last day of the season. I just couldn't make that third point be taller than it was wide. That would be the case on your bull too...I'd have to be there and look really close.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Mid fourties

saw one a little larger this year. Watched him through a spotting scope three different days for hours as close as 50yrds. two brow tines each side. wished he was larger but brother and I determined he was mid fourties.

46", next year he'll grow to be just right if he survives the winter.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!