Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best hunting sled advice

Default best hunting sled advice

Looking for advice on purchasing a sled That will be primarily used for hunting spring bear, wolfs, and last season caribou moose hunts?

Thanks much,
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Check out the trailboggan sleds. They work great for hunting trips.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Fan cooled machines... liquid cooled are tough to run on spring ice and hardpack. Something like a Tundra LT or Bearcat is pretty ideal IMHO.

Wink Will do want you want!!!

I think that a Bearcat 570 AIR will kick butt for hunting and towing for what you are looking for!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Is the bear cat Artic cat how does it compare to tundra or skandics what's the best track to get?
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

does anyone know what the bearcat weighs? I cant find a listed dry weight for it. To me it looks heavy.

The new Bearcats weigh around 600 pounds dry. They suck big time. Try to find a 2008 leftover, then you're talking. Before going to the bulldozer style the sleds weighed under 500 pounds, and can be tipped on thier sides easily. I can even pick up the front end of mine! I have a 2007 model. Why Arctic Cat decided to shoot themselves in the foot by ruining the idea of a lightweight, easy handling utility machine is beyond me.
    The 156" x 16" wide track is great, the 570 has more than enough power to spin the track, so I put studs in mine. The track would have been far better had it been a 1.5" tall lug. I toyed with the idea of getting the 174" x 16" track and cutting down the lugs, but all that for the expense of the track....maybe next year. I have >5k miles on mine and on the original plugs and belt!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

At the riask of being told "ya I know but I want it impossibly light in materials that dont exisit" I have a 09 tundra LT, I use it primarily for hunting. The only complaint I have is the 2 up seat, it gets in the way when your out playing. However it is one of the most comfortable trail seats I have ever sat on, kinda the best and worst depending on what your doing with it.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    At the riask of being told "ya I know but I want it impossibly light in materials that dont exisit" I have a 09 tundra LT, I use it primarily for hunting. The only complaint I have is the 2 up seat, it gets in the way when your out playing. However it is one of the most comfortable trail seats I have ever sat on, kinda the best and worst depending on what your doing with it.
    I have your machine from 2008 with the single seat. It is awesome for boondocking.

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a couple '10 Tundra sports. Any negatives I should be aware of? ( other than dealing w/ CCskidoo in Wasilla argh )

Dirtofak when we get Tracy set with a sled I hope to swap seats with her and get a one up. Its really more of an anouyance than problem I have no trouble keeping up with bigger "mountian" sleds.

Fullbush go to CC in eagle river. I do all my maintinance and parts purchasing through them. They have a top notch team, even managed to get my Tundra back too me a couple of weeks ahead of time. I rode a 2010 Tundra LT very nice, can't help with the sport.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of picking up a couple '10 Tundra sports. Any negatives I should be aware of? ( other than dealing w/ CCskidoo in Wasilla argh )
    Great sled!!!

+2 great sled
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Baiter View Post
    Great sled!!!

Mile 60 of the Parks Highway, Houston Alaska

Thank for the information on the Bearcat. Will definitely consider that sled.
    Gold Miners Lodge Mile 60 Parks Highway
    (907)892-7757

Bearcat 570 - Comfortable, reliable.... but heavy.

i have one friend with a 550f tundra and a friend with a 570 bearcat and was more impressed with the tundra of course rider ability has as much to do with riding as the sled itself when it comes to hills and deep snow. both are good sleds for what your doing. Have you looked at the skidoo 600 four strokes? they are pricey but claim some crazy gas mileage a little under horsepowered 65? maybe but looks like a good machine that would last a while. I went with a liquid cooled machine vs a fan cooled and haven't had any problems more power and if your going into mountains with deep powder a fan probably wouldnt keep up having a 2 inch paddle is nice. If you are drinving a fan cooled on bare ground you wouldn't drive a liquid cooled then you risk melting your hyfax anyways so i think people are drawing lines where none exist. as far as spring riding again as long as theres snow a liquid is fine its the snow that cools not the air. just my .2cents.

I bought a 09 artic cat bearcat 570 xt 156x20 widetrack will see how she does soon!!!! Not enough snow just yet but getting close here in Fairbanks. It is heavy for sure im hoping that the widetrack will displace the weight.Also have heard that the ride is a cadilac mine will be used for spring bear, ptarmy hunting, and utility work so will see.

Smile Good choice!

I think you will like this rig for what you are planning to do with it!!!
    Good Luck and Enjoy it!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

How did we allow this term "sled" to permeate into our discussions with Snowmachines?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

When I first moved to Alaska I called them snowmobiles. I was told that I was now in Alaska and they are called snowmachines and if I wanted to be accepted I would have to stop saying snowmobiles, so now it is snowmachine.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast