Thread: Spring Yukon River Black Bear

Default Spring Yukon River Black Bear

We are thinking of making a run up the Yukon in May-June of next year. What are the chances of seeing black bear along the river at that time of year? Any suggestions on areas or techniques would be appreciated. We are planning on doing a fishing trip and one of my dad's buddies would like to try and take a black bear.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe you should invest in snare buckets!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    We are thinking of making a run up the Yukon in May-June of next year. What are the chances of seeing black bear along the river at that time of year? Any suggestions on areas or techniques would be appreciated. We are planning on doing a fishing trip and one of my dad's buddies would like to try and take a black bear.

Thanks in advance!
    Jerod, lots of bears on the Yukon, I'm thinking about making a bear camp on the Yukon this year as well. Maybe we can team up???

Here is a photo of a breeding pair we took on the Yukon.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default nice photo steve

i thought that looked like your pws bears photo?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Jerod, lots of bears on the Yukon, I'm thinking about making a bear camp on the Yukon this year as well. Maybe we can team up???

Here is a photo of a breeding pair we took on the Yukon.

Steve
    Steve,

I'd be game for that. I presume you are talking about setting up a bait station or two? I've got a couple drums, and have been wanting to get into baiting for a while now but just haven't had the time. With my dad and his friend now interested, it's getting me motivated. I'll drop you a pm.

Jerod

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    i thought that looked like your pws bears photo?
    No Sir, those two are river bears. My friend is having them both mounted together, can't wait to see it.

Jerold sounds like a plan, sent you a PM.

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve, tried sending you a pm back but you are all filled up.

Look forward to putting plans together this winter!

Jerod

Steve, tried sending you a pm back but you are all filled up.

Look forward to putting plans together this winter!

Jerod

Should be able to PM now, did some fall cleaning....Sorry about that.

Sounds good Mr Jerod, I know you are a steely eyed bear slayer. Looking forward to learning a few things from you.

Steve
    Founding Member

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

No Sir, those two are river bears. My friend is having them both mounted together, can't wait to see it.

Jerold sounds like a plan, sent you a PM.

Steve
    Hmmm, a breeding pair...being mounted together. That should make for an interesting display!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hmmm, a breeding pair...being mounted together. That should make for an interesting display!!!
    That could make for a very interesting conversation piece!

Steve, just make sure the life insurance is paid up and we'll go have some fun.

jereod.....dont know where your planning on putting in at..but ive done the trip from circle down to fort yukon and up the porcupine to the black river....INSANE pike and sheefish fishing there at the mouth of the black....tons of pike on up it...and there are a buttload of bears there......grizz and black......running real late at night you should have multiple sightings along the beaches of the black river.....
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Thanks Richard, that's good info. It looks like a pretty good haul to the Black River, on a straight shot in the regs it looks like about 70-80miles, but river miles I'm sure is much more. I'd like to do that one of these years anyhow to see some new areas.

Has anybody tried upstream from the Dalton Highway bridge?

Thanks Richard, that's good info. It looks like a pretty good haul to the Black River, on a straight shot in the regs it looks like about 70-80miles, but river miles I'm sure is much more. I'd like to do that one of these years anyhow to see some new areas.

That is just a short run when you compare it to running to the Koyukuk, just call it practice....

Steve
    Founding Member

Default Blackies

Jerod,

I have archery hunted up there for over 5 years and yes there are plenty of black bears to be had. I have historical data if your interested logged on earliest I have ever been hit etc. I have it pretty nailed down as far best hunting dates etc. Anyways I have a few stands established and willing to take someone this year as well if your interested.My biggest bear is 6'2 but I have bigger ones on camera.Also have a few pike holes to fish if someone wants to do a cast n blast we could take the camper and boat.Thinking of maybe just going up for a week or so this year. Im still looking for my color phase lol.

Take Care, Tim

TTYL, Tim

ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

as i understand...

This year those above the bridge did better then those of us below the bridge... my bait was never hit and was set on FRESH sign... we had afew along the river but it warmed up really fast this year too... was wierd all the way around up there...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    as i understand...

This year those above the bridge did better then those of us below the bridge... my bait was never hit and was set on FRESH sign... we had afew along the river but it warmed up really fast this year too... was wierd all the way around up there...
    Vince, I stopped by to chat today with you, but your wife said you were out hunting...

Steve
    Founding Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Vince, I stopped by to chat today with you, but your wife said you were out hunting...

Steve
    yeah? cool... she noticed...

and i was!!!!!!!

went out with another member looking for an archery bull for him and will be back at it in the AM on the last day.. would be there NOW but have an AC meeting at 7 to attend. and the wife made me go look at houses this afternoon.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wednesday the 29th of September at 7 pm at the Alpine Lodge in Glacier Room B.

if ya got time show up....

meet on face book here