Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: My Sons First Moose

  1. #1

    Default My Sons First Moose

    My son with his first moose.



    He used a Ruger Mk II 300 Win Mag in the laminate stock. He's 6' 6" and needed a little length so the stock was left as is and a long recoil pad added. We took in 695 # of meat (on the bone) to the butcher so estimate the live weight at between 1000-1100#. 8 of us hunted ended up with 3 bulls which beats normal hunting standards pretty well. My son's bull was a 58", the other was a 50" and one was a smaller one that was legal under an any bull tag. My son had drawn one of those along with two others in the party and that's how we happened to be hunting up there. Alaska is tougher to hunt that most people realize. When I first moved here 30 years ago there were over 250,000 moose. Today there are less than 100,000. But they have some many wolves fish and game are embarassed to talk about those numbers. One of the guys also got a wolf. Lots of wolf tracks up there. A day or so later we heard 4 wolves calling to each other, I guess they found something else to try to kill.



    I was sure glad to see him get that moose. What with school and work over the years he's had very little time to hunt and it was certainly his time. Of course I'm proud of him.

    The trip itself was a real booger. It was in a very tough location to get to. We were invited by people who hadn't done this trip before. One of the main obstacles was that there is a pretty good size river to cross and you have to take 4 wheelers in to get back far enough. The guys had a great plan, just not one they had ever tried. I was hard pressed to put my ATV on the boat which had a platform for the ATV but wasn't rated for that kind of weight and they used a ratchet strap on the gunnels to make them more rigid. We hauled in 5 ATV's and an Argo (really old one) one of the ATV's an Arctic Cat had to be pulled out, plus we had 4 ATV trailers to haul gear. Some of the people we hadn't met before and will NEVER hunt with again. If we go back there I would prefer we hired professionals to take our stuff across, as it's just too big a deal and too much risk if you get stranded. That time of the year the water gets lower in the river and regular streams virtually daily. That doesn't mean in some of the small streams you couldn't drown a 4 wheeler though and for sure you could drown anything in the river.

  2. #2
    Member Bearclaw67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Right on!!! What a great way to spend time with a son or daughter. Congrats to you both. Good looking wolf too.
    Paul

  3. #3
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Thats a great grin on your boy. Congrats on a successful hunt and the taking of that wolf. We need more of those down and would love a chance to take one or two out of the equation. Thanks for sharing.

  4. #4
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Awesome work, BPJ! Congrats to the boy and that looks like a bruiser canine!

  5. #5
    Member rimfirematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    I like that picture of your Son and his moose. Most guys take the picture sitting back making the moose look big. Your son did the other approach. HE makes the moose look small! Heck of a first Moose. Nice wolf too.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Congrats to your son on the huge moose. And taking that wolf will help you get another next year!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Nothin like seeing a pic of a young one with their first critter, awesome! And hat's off to you for making it happen-WTG!

  8. #8

    Default

    Fantastic write up and pics. Most don't realize the value of good access and transportation and even if they do, most won't venture beyond the first obstacle. You did a good job in relating the difficulty associated with getting into good areas.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •