Thread: Planning the next family gettogether need some help.

Default Planning the next family gettogether need some help.

Okay ever since I moved up my Dad has been coming up to hunt in the fall. We had an awesome trip a few weeks ago with both of us tagging a nice grizzly and just generally having a great time catching up and spending time together. Partly I chalk it up to good planning and such as the year before was spur of the moment and went south quick. When him and his buddy that went with us as e were leaving they asked me to start getting ready for next year and making arrangments, after they made it home and talked to the guys about their trip I learned I'll have a coupleextra participants.

This is a good thing as my two uncles and another of Dads pals whoay as well be an uncle are wanting to come up. I really miss hunting with these guys and my older uncle has been talking about a caribou hunt as long as I can remember, so I'm stoked about this as they aren't the kind of guys to back out after saying they're in.

I think the slope is about our only option and I hear alot of success stories from up there so that's what I'm planning on. In the interest of keeping costs down I think taking us in two groups of three in a Beaver
    with our gear may work best. The level of comfort we like makes three guys and gear fit pretty good in a Beaver with a little room to spare.

I guess my problem is that the only big plane up there is Coyote Air's , which I don't have a problem with as I hear great reports about them. I just am not sure about the hunting that far south. Most of the reports I see posted are coming from guys leaving from Happy Valley and we probably can't afford six or eight trips in a Supercub.

So if anybody has flown out to hunt with Coyote or anyone else from Coldfoot and has a report I would appreciate it. Also suggestions are welcome if reasonable. I'm going down to hunt with these guys in November and plan to get booked soon after my return.

Thanks in advance guys.

Coyote Air can do what you are asking for. They will fly you north if you want and we found plenty of Caribou on our hunt with them this year.

My Buddy's Bou.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I will still suggest Mike McCrary out of happy Valley, flying a helio Courrier, witha 650 or 750 pound weight limit per trip. Do the caribou thing for everybody. Most everybody, or all get a 'bou...all go home happy. But...in the future I recommend smaller groups, especially for any other species. When I conduct hunts for large groups, I am always the one left out. So with money and ESPECIALLY TIME, TIME, TIME always being limited, remember to take care ou you, yourself. It is alright to be a little bit selfish....ya only live once.

Mike can be reached at 907 209-0119. safe, cheepest trips avail, he knows the north country , been fly up there for many years.
    Stid2677 is also giving you fine advice....Coyote is also really good with their Beaver and the 1200 pound payload capacity. but one year their price did jump up considerably, which ya know toasted me.

Dennis

Ya I know what you mean about odd man out and that's fine, these guys all made sure I was the one pulling the trigger when I was a little fella so now I'm gonna give back a little. I would never consider a group this big for anything else but I hear there are plenty of caribou up there.

How far north did you guys have to fly, if you don't mind my asking Stid.

Also an approximate optimum time of year might help, I know you never know with caribou but as far as usual good weather or bug conditions. Thanks again fellas.

I have used Mike as well and I can say he is a great guy. I would fly with again for sure for a Caribou hunt.
    These were taken on the hunt we did with him. I like mid Aug to the first of Sep, all depends on the hunt, bugs ect...
    We hunted the Ivishak.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I know both of the above mentioned pilots well and would suggest to you that you contact both and more, tell them about your plans/logistics and one will rise to the top for you and your particular situation.

The best of luck