Thread: Shrink wrap?

Default Shrink wrap?

We just bought a boat a month ago and are going through the process of winterising it.
    Thinking about shrink wrapping. Does anyone have a recommendation of who does a good job in town and who has the best price? Do all the business use the same material?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by brown_jean View Post
    We just bought a boat a month ago and are going through the process of winterising it.
    Thinking about shrink wrapping. Does anyone have a recommendation of who does a good job in town and who has the best price? Do all the business use the same material?
    It's awfully spendy to get a boat shrink wrapped. You can buy a heck of a lot of tarps for what they want to shrink wrap it.

Why would anybody want to shrink wrap their boat? You expose it to every harsh element there is when your using it. The air is dry enough up here in the winter to let your boat breath and air out. Why would you want to encapsulate it in a salty environment?

If youíre going to store the boat on your property itís way easy to just lay a ridge pole down center and drape tarp over it; anchor the tarp with stakes or tie it too your trailer. Get some old foam rubber or similar padding to support the ridge pole or support from the ground in an A frame fashion. If you buy good tarp it will last for years and the cost of everything will be way less than a single shrink wrapping. If you store the boat off site than you should be able to come up with something similar. There are lots of dehumidifiers for boats that have small current draw, place one in our cabin if you have one and it will keep things dry.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

What kind of boat ....

My neighbor does it every year on his northriver, I never did it on my glass boat, the first year I did a tarp with wood frame arangment and found that when we had a big blow in the middle of the winter that wood frame rubbed the fiberglass gel coat and I had to repair that. I would do it if I owened a rivited aluminum boat (freeze thaw expansion at the seams) but probably would pass on every other type of boat.
    Bought a great big hangar and it will get no cloder than 55 degrees this winter. I should not brag ... shame on me.
    Last edited by ocnfish; 09-28-2010 at 17:55. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Bought a great big hangar and it will get no cloder than 55 degrees this winter.
    Hey there ocnfish old pal if you have way more space than you know what to do w/ my boat is looking for some heated storage this winter Thats sure a nice looking boat you have buddy!
    Last edited by fullbush; 09-28-2010 at 19:37. Reason: If theres anything you need, remember I'm just a PM away

Default Use a tarp

Silly little people! The frame for shrink wrapping is like the frame you would make for a tarp.

Sorry guy's ... enough room for my stuff only, if you did it right and made the the right moves, when you get to be an old fart like me you will be in the same situation ....

I personaly shrink wrap my Tjet every year. If I had to pay full pop for it I might change that. Last year I didn't do it since I had plans for deer hunting and so on and it sucked this spring trying to clean her up. I don't like the tarp idea since the wind blows so hard in the valley. It rubs on the paint and can turn into a big sail and cause all sorts of haveck. I have had the seams on the shrink wrap pull loose from all the wind, but a little duck tape fixes that.

Talking Warning: duck tape

Remember, duck tape is considered a "structural permanent fix" in some cultures, you could accidently seal your boat in its tarp forever if your not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    If youíre going to store the boat on your property itís way easy to just lay a ridge pole down center and drape tarp over it; anchor the tarp with stakes or tie it too your trailer. Get some old foam rubber or similar padding to support the ridge pole or support from the ground in an A frame fashion. If you buy good tarp it will last for years and the cost of everything will be way less than a single shrink wrapping. If you store the boat off site than you should be able to come up with something similar. There are lots of dehumidifiers for boats that have small current draw, place one in our cabin if you have one and it will keep things dry.
    OK, I decided to follow your advice, and I got a 30x40 tarp at AIH and covered the boat last night. It cost $200 vs. the $375 to shrinp wrap, so if it lasts just the one winter, then it is worth the money. Another advantage of the bare aluminum is that I don't have to worry about scratching the boat. The tarp provides easier access to the boat too. We will see in the spring on which way I like better.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

When I had an 18' Jetcraft, I did the ridge pole and tarp deal. Worked well, except the for the stray cats that made a nest under my bow one winter and sprayed all my PFD's. Nasty critters!!!!!! Then my 1st year with my hewescraft, I paid the 350 bucks to shrink wrap it. Decided last year to just winterize it, put a bunch of moisture absorbant crystals in buckets in the cabin and fill a few old tube socks with kitty litter and place them in potential moisture collection spots as well as the head, and anchor locker area. I kept it swept off and deck shoveled out with a plastic shovel so not to damage any sharkhide. It did just fine. That was hard for me to accept as I usually go overboard to pamper my toys. It gave me an excuse to bond with my boat during the winter and even sit in a chair on the back deck a few times and dream. If you have the room on your property where you can keep an eye on it and share a little TLC, you might use the shrinkwrap money on a new reel, or tackle for next year. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    When I had an 18' Jetcraft, I did the ridge pole and tarp deal. Worked well, except the for the stray cats that made a nest under my bow one winter and sprayed all my PFD's. Nasty critters!!!!!! Then my 1st year with my hewescraft, I paid the 350 bucks to shrink wrap it. Decided last year to just winterize it, put a bunch of moisture absorbant crystals in buckets in the cabin and fill a few old tube socks with kitty litter and place them in potential moisture collection spots as well as the head, and anchor locker area. I kept it swept off and deck shoveled out with a plastic shovel so not to damage any sharkhide. It did just fine. That was hard for me to accept as I usually go overboard to pamper my toys. It gave me an excuse to bond with my boat during the winter and even sit in a chair on the back deck a few times and dream. If you have the room on your property where you can keep an eye on it and share a little TLC, you might use the shrinkwrap money on a new reel, or tackle for next year. JMO
    Same here chico I fire up my stove and sit in the capt chair and listen to the radio. Its like a private get away. Do you ever get any water in the bucket from those moisture absorbent crystals? I've always thought it was really dry here in the winter compared to Cordova. In the winter a boat can mold really bad in Cordova but here in Wasilla I've left a little water in the fish hold when I put it away and by spring it was dry.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Do you ever get any water in the bucket from those moisture absorbent crystals?
    Last spring, when I pulled the buckets the only one that had moisture was in the anchor locker. I also had the sock filled with kitty litter and only about 1/4th of it was hard. I had left the inside hatch access closed. This year I left it open.