Thread: black bear rug

Default black bear rug

this is a question for you guys that have had your bear rugged up here i am wondering what it cost to get your finished product and to recomend a good taxi.

I am getting mine done for 750. Its a private friend of mine, but he will do them for that. I can call him and see if he wants another. Let me know if that works for u. Most licensed guys are about 1500. how big is it is another question. Most taxi's have different numbers for different sizes. and do you want the head on it or without a head.

im just planning ahead have one tearing up my cabin and dont want to shoot him if its gona cost me an arm and a leg to get him rugged thats not bad though i was thinking 2k so maby ill see if i can find him next weekend. thanks

I change 200.00 a linear foot on blackbears and 210.00 a linear foot on Browns over 7'.

So a 5 foot bear is 1K, pretty much average priced for all the shops around.

I go through a guy named Fortman's Taxidermy in St. Mary's, Ohio. I have had 3 rugs done by him, as well as have seen 9 other rugs done for friends and every single one is awesome. I have been to his shop (when I was passing through the area on business) and he does nice work on other things as well. He specializes in rugs so he knows what he is doing. Most of the rugs have come back in 6 or 8 weeks rather than the 6-12 months you usually get quoted. Have a Hinchenbrook Brown down there now.

Price is VERY cheap compared to what you get up here in Alaska. He only charges $110 per lineal foot for black bear and $130 for Brown/Griz and that includes 2 felt colors and open mouth head form. I always flesh and dry the hides then just roll them up in a box and mail it down. Don't think it cost more than $40 to send the last one down.

I would give him a try, you won't be sorry!

http://www.fortmantaxidermy.com/
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

875 for a rug from a shop out by big lake. Seems to do a nice job too. that is for black bear any size. Browns are more.

170 a linear foot Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. 696-3611

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    170 a linear foot Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. 696-3611
    For Dave and his work.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Trophy Taxidermy in the valley does great work. He's local and everyhting is done on site.
    Not sure of his prices. He has done a 7' blackie for me that ran just over a $1000 if I remember right plus lots of other critters.
    BK

great thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    For Dave and his work.
    He did a black bear for my brother, he's doing a grizzley for me, he's also done a caribou shoulder mount, a some other work, it all turned out great. Dave also offers a discount for military sinces he's retired Air Force.

Default grizzly

Just curious, why do the taxi's charge more per foot for a brown bear than a black? Is there something more that goes into doing a brown bear hide or is it just because its a brown bear?

I don't know but its a good question. Dave charges the same for any bear but I know other taxi's charge different rates. Thicker hide makes it harder to work? I do know approximately the same length black bear and grizzly are quite a pit different in width so maybe that's it. (An awfully big black or a small griz) My interior grizzly is not that long, just over 6 feet or so but its a whole lot wider that a 6ft black bear.

Default Brown/black

Can't speak for all taxidermist, just for myself.

I charge a slightly higher amount 10.00 per linear foot to cover a few things..the higher tanning costs.. tanning is usually slightly higher per linear foot also.. Forms are considerably larger, and will cost more, shipping, etc..fabric per square foot is much more on a brownbear, thats just a few reasons.. Rarely will a blackbear be over 7', so all bears 7' and under are the same price.. but when you start talking about 8-10' kodiak brown bears.. their is no size comparison..

Think of it like a tire company.. a car tire doesn't cost the same as a truck tire does it? Their both tires?

Dahlberg's Taxidermy
    Attached Images Attached Images