Thread: "smoke 'em if ya got 'em!"

Exclamation "smoke 'em if ya got 'em!"

...your fish and game meat that is

this time of year I tend to forget to fire-up my smoker until after temps drop to where my big chief smoker can't overcome them, so this is just a friendly reminder to all you successful fishers and hunters to not fall into the same trap i have fallen into in past years and miss out on having yummy smoked meat this winter.

cheers everyone!

I find that if you wrap your smoker in a heavy blanket that you never plan on using again, you can extend your smoking season quite a bit. Just insure that the top vents reamin uncovered and smoke away. I have never had a fire but you might not wan to do this next to the house.

Definately do not do this on your porch. I was using a big chief and had it just set on the deck. Left it on while at work. It burned a hole the size of a paper plate completely through two 2x6's and 3 inches down a 2x8 stringer. **** near lost the whole house. The pink salmon was WAY done. Now I put a piece of concrete board under it.

Default big & little chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by borderblue1 View Post
    I find that if you wrap your smoker in a heavy blanket that you never plan on using again, you can extend your smoking season quite a bit. Just insure that the top vents reamin uncovered and smoke away. I have never had a fire but you might not wan to do this next to the house.
    These little electric smokers are so low-powered that you can easily get away with using the cardboard box it came in as that "heavy blanket" you describe, blue. I've done it and it does work at letting the Chief get a warmer temp during colder times. Never had a box ignite here.

They also sell an insulation kit for the Chief's that works pretty well. It is aluminized bubble-wrap type insulation that wraps around the unit and fastens with velcro on the side. Leaves all the vents open and easy access to the chip pan.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have/use a barrell smoker with an offset firebox. I use it year round; it takes a little more babysitting in the colder temps but does just fine.

JOAT, can you tell me if i wrap my chief with this insulation, how low can the outdoor temp be and still successfully smoke meat/fish in a reasonable amount of time, say 10 hours?