Thread: Utility Vest Question?

Default Utility Vest Question?

I do a good amount of hiking and camping by myself and with my family. I'm looking for a good utility vest for myself. When we go out we've been trying to reduce our carry-in load, and bring less with us. I think that a good utility vest would also come in handy for fishing too. I've checked out a few differn't brands, but have seemed to find the humvee models for fairly inexpensive. I'm looking for some for my whole family so price is definatley an issue. Has anyone used the humvee safari vest , and if so , was it worth the buy?

The humvee I bought was cheap. It was made out of thin material, tore easily. I wont buy another again.

DQ...looking for an insulated vest for warmth?
    A "pocket Vest" for packet capacity?
    Cotton?
    Synthic fabric?
    My question are not solely for you, cause I'm a vest guy, but have never found the perfect one.

I also am a vest person. Two that I use the most are a Filson "Upland Hunter" Vest. And the 5.11 Tactical Vest. I use the 5.11 Tactical vest in the summer as it is cooler, and all the pockets are moveable. I call them survival vests, as they contain soft first-aid kits inside double zip-lock bags in one moveable 6'X6' pocket. Emergency firestarting tools like magnesium & Firesteel Rod & cotton balls w/ petroleum jelly, lighter, weterproof matches, and TP all in a 4"X6" moveable pocket, A holster, etc.. So for Mt. Biking I can put the pockets on the back of the survival vest, for day hikes I can add more pockets for food, water, the bike has water bottle holders so they are not needed on the vest when biking. There are built-in pockets for space blanket or nylon tarp. Map pockets, etc.http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...00:50400:50408 click on vests and accessories http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...00:50800:50811 .

Quote Originally Posted by DQuinn86 View Post
    I do a good amount of hiking and camping by myself and with my family. I'm looking for a good utility vest for myself. When we go out we've been trying to reduce our carry-in load, and bring less with us. I think that a good utility vest would also come in handy for fishing too. I've checked out a few differn't brands, but have seemed to find the humvee models for fairly inexpensive. I'm looking for some for my whole family so price is definatley an issue. Has anyone used the humvee safari vest , and if so , was it worth the buy?
    Not sure if posted in the kayak forum by mistake... however for fishing while boating these vest are non-essentials, will not dry, fall apart easily, and a pain in the neck/chest if wearing a PFD.

My take
    --- this kind of vest just adds an impractical cheap piece of kit to the "carry-in load".

Very nice post. This will help possible client to get a quality person.