Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is he?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default How big is he?

Had this guy walk into camp in 2007 out of Kotz as we were waiting for the planes to pick us up. Since we already had seven caribou and a grizzly, shooting him seemed glutonous so we let him walk...admittedly I've regretted that decision ever since. Anyways, how big do you think he is/was?

Big Moose.JPG

Right at 60". Good enough to shoot.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

60" I would have dumped him and told the plane to start making trips!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

+1 I gave him 60" as well. That ticker point on the right side adds a couple inches.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

From just the picture I would have guessed 50 to 52 because I am not sure about what could be a point coming out of the left antler. If that is a valid point then add another 5 or so inches. (55 to57)

Here's a couple more pics/views. The second shows the sticker/dagger sticking off the left main palm.

PIC_0040.JPGPIC_0042.JPG.

High 50's, low 60's

Big bull, and with the cheater point on the left horn, he will be pushing the 68 / 70 inch class.
    Note that the left horn does not appear to extend as far outward as the right horn, but that the left horn does have that flaring cheater point that adds to overall outside width.
    The first picture, the front view, and the last picture, the going away view were most useful for me...

As I have written before, here is the method that has worked well for me....
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    50+inch moose antlers / estimateing width...Here is what works for me...

A large mooses ears are about 12 inches long (bulls in the 55+- inch class are about 11 1/2 inches long)
    Ears come out of the head about where the antlers start.
    After measuring many (20?) dead bull moose (in a large guide camp), there is about 8 inches between the horn bases.

So while looking at a bull moose FACING YOU or going STRAIGHT AWAY.....

If the horns appear to stick out 2 1/2 times the length of the ear, it will be a 68 inch wide bull.
    12+12+6 =30 inches (for the width of one horn from base to outer most antler width)
    30+30= 60 inches (width of one horn plus width of second horn)
    60+8=68 inches wide horns on this large bull (Width of both horns plus 8 inches between horn bases)

If the horns appear to stick out twice as wide as the ears, it is a 56 or 55 inch wide bull.
    12+12=24 inches (for the width of one horn, base to outer most antler point width)
    24+24=48 inches (for the width of two horns)
    48+8=56 inch wide bull moose horns on this smaller bull....(width of two horns plus 8 inch space between the hornes...but the ears may be a bit smaller and the space between the bases shorter, so it will generally be a 55 inch wide bull moose)

Before shooting, I and my client-hunters establish a minimun horn width of 55 estimated inches, when hunting within a 50 inch minimum area. While using the above math on (only) eight kills, I have never been more that 1 1/2 inches off. My "off" estimates have been on smaller, 55-56 inch bulls. My dead on estimates have been on 62-68 inch bulls.

Well it works for me. It takes some time while in the field. But while I worked in a rather large guide camp, all six of the guides were instructed to use this math formula. And in six seasons we never shot a "short" moose.
    Really!
    Dennis

57'' to 62''
    I ♥ Big Sheep

I came up with the same spread guesstimate as alaskatrueadventure, I was right at 68" with the cheater factored in.

That is a great bull, kudos to you for being able to let him walk, I would've had to harvest him

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    I came up with the same spread guesstimate as alaskatrueadventure, I was right at 68" with the cheater factored in.

That is a great bull, kudos to you for being able to let him walk, I would've had to harvest him
    My (our) estimate is 65"-66". On that particular hunt, my son shot his first ever big game animal (caribou), my brother shot his best ever caribou and I shot my first grizzly, but yet we (my dad, brother and son) talk more about that bull than any animal we've ever harvested. Incidentally, I haven't seen a legal bull since then, but certainly not for lack of trying. What happened to that karma I hear so much about?

I was thinking mid to low 60's as well, that left bonus cheater is to cool.

Great tops on him to boot! What a 'beaut...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    My (our) estimate is 65"-66". On that particular hunt, my son shot his first ever big game animal (caribou), my brother shot his best ever caribou and I shot my first grizzly, but yet we (my dad, brother and son) talk more about that bull than any animal we've ever harvested. Incidentally, I haven't seen a legal bull since then, but certainly not for lack of trying. What happened to that karma I hear so much about?
    Sounds like you had a phenominal hunt! You probably couldn't wipe the smile of your face for a week after your boy killed his first bou! I'm looking forward to taking my boys on a similar hunt in that area for their first "wilderness" hunt, been researching the region for a couple of years now..........can't wait! Sometimes Karma takes it's sweet ***** time to come around, be patient he might be bigger next year

Hindsight, here's one for ya. A couple of years ago I was finishing up a guide season and we ended up getting done two days befor the end of moose season. Jet boats loaded up we headed for town, evening was fast approaching so we pulled over to set up camp just off a slough. Well as we pulled into the slough a 50"er swam across the slough in front of us, well I slapped my face good and hard as I didn't have a moose HT.
    After we hit shore one of my pals decided to let out a call, he gets TWO responses so we sneak back into the bush a bit to see what we could see and then he came busting out into the meadow, a whopper of over 70" closing the distance fast between he and the 50" bull. they meet running hard a mere 40 yards in front of us-Bang,CraSh %^&$%^# and the little fart hauls hinney outa there and I walked back to the boat darn near in tears for not having a FREE TAG in my pocket. I do feel richer for the experience of being witness to the ways of the wild creatures that we chase, but boy was he a HOG!

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    57'' to 62''
    Just a dink, eh? ;D

I see you tried to post a pic...shoot it to me and I can ask the same questions you were trying to...

High 50's, low 60's. That point that gives it a couple more. That isn't near 70".

Isn't near 70"? I figured 62-63" then add the cheater which is closer to 6" than 2"=67-68". That cheater point puts it darned close to
    70". Dandy bull reguardless.

that cheater is only an inch or two out of the main points.. not an additional 6" I get 54 - 56. I see two ears on his left side ear and 1 3/4 on his right side and 8" on the head 24+12+9+8 +(2) .. ohh well , beauty is in the eye of the beholder,

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

That's a low to mid 60s bull. Nice animal.

Look at the photo of him walking away (or the first pic-it is right next to the branch on the shrub). By your judgement of the length of the cheater (outermost part of the point) his palms would only be 3"-6" wide instead of around 14"+/-.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast