Thread: Need GPS and Chartplotter information

Default Need GPS and Chartplotter information

I need a GPS or Chartplotter to go on my boat and don't know which one I need. All I want it to do is to be able to mark schools of fish after I find them with my depth finder so I can stay on them. And I need to mark structure so I can return to it at a later date. I also want a unit that will mount on the boat insted of a handheld unit. I would like to keep price under $500. I have looked at several Garmin and Lowrance units and don't have any idea which unit I need to do the best job for the money. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I've always been a Garmin guy. They're fairly idiot-proof which is why they work so well for me

I have a furuno navnet system on my boat and really like it, but I really like the garmin gps/plotters. They are very user friendly as fullbush said. Furuno sounders coupled with a powerful transducer are hard to beat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If you are just looking for a gps then go Garmin, if you want sonar too then I would go with a humminbird (700 series).
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

A Few Thoughts to Ponder
    I've had a Garmin 440s in my boat for 3 years .So far it has been dependable with no problems.I picked it up at Trustworthy's for less than $400.I like the dual transducer with a 15 and a 60 degree cone angle,seems to give a better picture of what is below you in the water.It is easy to get the hang of and mark way points and places you may want to return to.Hummingbird makes decent units too.
    Do your homework and figure out what will work best for your applications.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have a furuno navnet system on my boat and really like it, but I really like the garmin gps/plotters. They are very user friendly as fullbush said. Furuno sounders coupled with a powerful transducer are hard to beat.
    I'm thinking of getting a Furuno FCV 585 stand alone sounder with that 1000w transducer. Is there something better out there? Is this a waste of money? Thoughts / ideas?