Thread: winter Kenai salmon

Default winter Kenai salmon

I was driving to Anchorage last week and I saw someone catch a salmon on the Kenai, close to (Cooper's Landing?) the place where the lake comes into the river, and where the bridge crosses the river. There were also 4-5 other people fishing right where the ice ends at the lake. Were these guys fishing for salmon, you think? I didn't know any salmon were left in the river in the winter. Correct me if I'm wrong. Now I'm thinking of driving down there to catch some salmon. Would it be worthwhile, or do you think they were fishing for trout?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default big bow

More than likely it was a big bow. I have a couple of die hard fly fisher friends that fish the outlet of Kenai Lake all winter and catch some BIG rainbows there. On the flip side, a lot of old timers claim that you can catch silvers on the Kenai every month of the year. As kid, my Dad and I would fish the upper river on New Years day for silvers. We always seemed to pick up one or two. They had color, but were far from spawning. Caught some lunker bows then, too.

Default late coho?

I'd bet spawner silvers.

When I was a kid, late run coho used to enter the river clear into February. That spot below the bridge was an area where those fish seemed to stack up... not sure if they actually spawned right there or if it's just a staging area.

Nerka?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

They are spawners, the season is closed on them nor would you want to eat one at this stage.
    The guys you see fishing are chasing Trout and Dollies but there are good numbers of toothy Sivlers in there and you end up hooking into them occasionaly.

A little trivia for you....which month is the only month Silver Salmon have not been documented returning to the Kenai??

Talking clice...

I wanna say May. I think I heard that some time ago. I was married on the Kenai Keys in December 91 and after the ceremony we tossed flies in the river and caught several nice bright silvers. They were a little lethargic, but very nice fish. A little chilly fishing in a wedding duds...but quite satisfying..=)

Smile Almost

Close but no cigar, I can't think of a better way to top off a wedding, good on you.

Default Trivia Question

I'll guess June.

The guys fishing the upper are fishing for trout and dollies (catch & release). Any silvers caught this time of year are typically old potato heads. The trout fishing is slow and fish are far and few between. Some good fish are caught but it's often long, very cold hours between fish and fishless days are not unheard of. You've got to be a true diehard to fish this water.

Thumbs up

The cleaner takes it, rumor is June is the only month Silvers have not entered the Kenai

While we're on the subject, this is what late coho look like down south:

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Nice!! What did that one weigh?

My buddy caught a few chrome silvers whilst fishing for bows near the keani princess last april.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default silver treasure...

I banged a chromer on a very high flood tide in Bird Creek before it was an artificial silver fishery during June in the 80's. I was alone...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default February Silver

I saw a silver just upstream from the bridge in Soldotna a couple weeks ago, while investigating the flood damage. It looked a little haggard though.

Default coulda been silver or bow

unless you took a close look at that fish, it could have been either or. I have seen people catch bright silvers in december and january in front of the princess lodge or thereabouts. but it easily could have been a giant rainbow because there are plenty of salmon size rainbows coming out of that bridge area in the winter time. it's funny how your standards change in different environments - for example- when i lived in oregon, I would only go fly fishing if it was close to 40 degrees or warmer, when I lived in Montana I would only go if it was close to or above freezing, and living in alaska I will go anytime it's 20 degrees or warmer. I wouldn't recommend it though cause you spend 90% of the day with your hands down your pants trying to warm them up. I get about 3 casts in, then it's time for a warm up. You can catch some big fish during these times, but you definitely pay the price.

The fish I saw was from about 100 feet away, and it was a very dark red, and about 15 pounds. That's why I assumed it was a salmon. My rear end slid on the ice as I slowed to rubberneck the fish, so I kept moving.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey