Thread: any ideas for a locking tilt add on for 5hp outboard?

Default any ideas for a locking tilt add on for 5hp outboard?

I have a 5 horse outboard on a 12' boat. I would like to put some sort of adjustable locking tilt on it so I can go through shallower water without having to hold the thing up. Any ideas?

Was thinking about a notched bracket that hangs down to sit on the existing tilt pin but haven't really tried it yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

The bolt on "kicker bracket" works good for me on a 15' sport boat. You just pull out the pin, lift the outboard, and lock the pin back in and your in business. It sets the outboard back about 6" which should improve performance. I bought the one I have at Cabelas.

Most small kickers have a "shallow water drive" feature. Perhaps you could adapt one from another model. Your idea sounds reasonable, but at the least, a piece of 2x4 might suffice. I've seen it done with a piece of firewood!

Thanks for the ideas. The kicker mount looks like it might work well. Going to give that a try. Hadn't thought of that one!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Quote Originally Posted by danjordan78 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. The kicker mount looks like it might work well. Going to give that a try. Hadn't thought of that one!
    I've got a couple good kicker mounts I need to find homes for...one is a OMC, the other is a stainless steel Garelick. You'd be welcome to see if they would work for your application. Sent you a pm.