Thread: Hello fellow waterfowlers

Default Hello fellow waterfowlers

I have been following this forum for 3 years. Not only out of curiousity but mainly to make sure that I am not being an idiot or angering someone. I grew up hunting in the sloughs, bayous and swamps of Louisiana. I rekindled my seriousness about duck hunting a few years ago when the first of my 2 sons was responsible enough to handle a gun. For many years, I hunted out of a 14 foot jon boat with a prop. Last year with the low water level, I converted to a canoe with paddles. This year..I upgraded to a surface drive. Anyway, I normally hunt the mud/gull/swan/leaf areas with my 2 sons on weekends and Friday evenings. If I do something that angers someone..please let me know..I am trying to teach my boys how to enjoy duck hunting. I am easy to recognize..generally the only boat with 2 pre-teens. If I do something stupid..please tell me. I recognize many of the boats described in these threads and thank goodness none of them are me!! I do not set up in the path, I won't set up downwind of you, I won't shoot at ducks working your dekes but I will try to sell them on my set, I do not Run-N-Gun, I will get in/out of the launch as quickly as possible and I will NOT park in the launch area. Any other etiquette points that I missed? My main goal is to have fun and pass on this passion to my sons!

I think I saw you and your boys out putting in on jims lake sunday morning. If that was you, I personally thought that you were very nice and courteous. It was way cool that even tho you had that motor you didn't crank it and burn across the lake. After you crossed the lake I totally lost sign of you and I didn't know if you had crossed over to someplace else.
    I hope that you got some shooting in and that you & your boys got some birds.
    Maybe we'll see you out there this weekend.
    ~FarouT
    FarouT

Sunday..we were out there. We launched around 5:30 AM into mud then ran back to Leaf. Not many birds back there. Pulled the dekes at 10 AM and motored to Mud lake and set up as far back to the blinds that we could. There were 2 groups set up by the channel..kind of startled me because I did not expect them to be set there..I had to go faster than I would have liked through hunter's sets because the water level is getting lower. If I slow down in the shallow stuff...I will be sweating shortly..having to pull, push, swear, drag and get angry for backing off. If one of those 2 groups were you..Sorry about that as I did not have any other viable options at that point. We did not do too well this weekend but believe me if they come in range...my boys have no will power and will unload the guns as long as there is a bird in the air. They do not shoot till I tell them to but when I give the go ahead...3 shots each...thank goodness for plugs. 3 birds total for the weekend..juvenile mallard drake, wigeon and mallard hen. I rarely shoot..as I let them blaze away. I have shot less than 10 times this season and most of those are "swat shots". They are having an absolute blast and honestly I am having more fun watching them then I would taking my own shots. FYI-I am running an 18 foot 36HP Prodrive Surface Drive.

I'm not in your area...and you really sound like you're trying to do it right. I think the main thing is not try to remember a bunch of rules or worse yet, worrying about breaking one. Just be aware that others are trying to enjoy the same resource, then let common sense & common courtesy be your guide. I can only speak for myself, but I don't get excited if someone unknowingly does something...then gives an apologetic wave and moves on...unless it was real stupid. People are bound to cross paths in public areas...so don't sweat the small stuff and...and don't worry too much if someone else does.
    I guess what I'm saying is, be courteous, be safe, be smart; but don't worry so much. We're out there to forget about worrying, etc.

How do you like that surface drive?
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Mark, I've seen you out there before as well. I thought you were "philobedo" on here since he has a similar boat in one of his photos. You zipped out of the creek just as I was motoring into the shallow stuff. One of those two sets was kwackkillerkrew on here.

I hunted that back spot on Mud on the 18th and spent the day trying to not have my dog retreive a salmon. I think that was one reason the ducks were only giving me a slight nod that day. Too may fish around me.

Have you tried to get over the beaver dam into Gull lake? The cut is hard bottomed and has at least 4 inches of water, which prevents me from getting my sneak boat into the lake with its 10 inch draft. I pushed about 3/4 of the way through the cut and turned around as the water in front of me was getting way too shallow, and I know it is shallow for a long ways out there past the dam.

yep i was the one that was in the second opening. dont worry bout rippin by me if i set up there its my own fault! didnt have any options sine we didnt get out there as early as i wanted to. but i always make sure there is more then enough room for boats to get by. we did decent one day where you guys set up the second time. me and my buddy will be back out there this weekend in a green canoe. if you see a tan explorer or a green dodge with kwackkillncrew on the front window say hi. we will probably be set up on the second opening of mud lake.

Sounds like you and your boys are having some fun.
    That wasn't me set up in the channel. I dont set up over there.
    Well next time I see you out there I'll give you a shout.
    have a good one.
    FarouT

AK DUX- I love the surface drive. It is a great set-up. I am from Louisiana..so I was familar with long tails but this surface drive is excellent. I did learn 2 lessons on my first outing..if you hangout at the landing get ready to answer questions and if the water gets skinny-DO NOT PANIC and drop the throttle. Thanks for the pointers.

AK Ray- I have not tried to get past the beaver dam from the mud lake side. I was unsure if I could get through as it gets pretty thin at the back end of mud lake. I know, I know...I am being a pansy. Afraid that I would have to explain to mama why we spent the night as I went someplace I should not have. I went into gull lake from the McRoberts Creek channel and followed the first split to the right and was able to get through the skinny, log ridden water and grass mat until I emerged in more shallow stuff that I had to kind of blow and go until I got into gull lake. Do you think that I could make it through mud lake, over the dam and into gull without going the only route that I know? I am very unfamilar with all the detail area. I can get into the creek, make it to swan and leaf..but mostly I have certain spots that we have had some luck and we carefully explore new areas every weekend. Most of my hunting prior to this year was done in mud lake with the early season excursions to Swan/Leaf when the water was deep with my 15hp prop. I am going to build a pirogue this winter to get in the skinny stuff. A pirogue is a Louisiana version of a canoe..flat bottom and requires very little draft and a lot easier to pull and push out then the monster that I have.

Kwackkillincrew and FarouT-I will say hi when I spot you

Mark and the boys: do you run that prodrive with the center console with the two younger boys? I may have seen you out there sept 15 or 16 I think. I was running a green smokercraft with a beavertail longtail on it. Not really going anywhere with this, just think its cool to see people on here that I've seen in the swamp. New to the forum, been hunting back there for about 15 years now. Won't be getting out anymore this year because I'm stationed in california and fixin to push out to afghanistan. Maybe ill see you out there again next fall.

AK Marine: Yes that is us and I do remember you. Seems like we talked briefly at the launch. Be safe and we will see you next fall. Thank you for your service to our country. It is neat to put names on boats and people in the swamp..since we all enjoy the same resources.

i will be out on jim on friday since my buddy cant go and he has the canoe. so i will be walking out to the left of the launch to hunt. any one else going out there?

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    i will be out on jim on friday since my buddy cant go and he has the canoe. so i will be walking out to the left of the launch to hunt. any one else going out there?
    Hopefully i'll be out there this weekend. were you out there last friday?
    FarouT

ya i walked out to the left

ok, ya. i talked with you out there last friday.
    ill see you out there this weekend, if im able to get out that way
    FarouT