Thread: Eklutna DS 141 report

Default Eklutna DS 141 report

Well had a blast. Drug my dad up the mountain the 9th through 11th. He said he is never doing that again! He had the brown bear tag and talked himself into believing he could suffer once instead of suffering all summer training and loosing his gut! He paid for it big time, but still had a blast and enjoyed the scenery. Sheep spotted, no stalks though as they were 1.5 valleys away. Sheep that morning we canoed in that were spotted were never seen again, I found them this past weekend though!

Headed out the weekend before last to hunt. Goofed off mostly and found the sheep though. Too late in the day and I knew it would be suicide to climb up to climb back down the next day. Watched the sheep and was glad I did, found them this past weekend also! 15 spotted that day and all were rams!

So headed out this past saturday early with a buddy. We got to where I thought we would head up. Dropped the packs and headed down further to scout, lighter and faster. Headed back for the packs and changed the game plan, for the better!

We head up to where we wanted to go. Get up mid afternoon and set up the tent. Buddy turned and spotted a sheep, ram! Then another ram! and a 3rd ram popped up! 3 rams up the valley and a little above camp. Of course they spotted us and were locked onto us pretty good. They ate and bedded up in plain sight. We start to creep up to a rise to hide ourselves and they were holding tight. We noticed they are not really looking for us anymore. We look across the valley and 3 black dots on the ridge! Bear had stole the spot light! We scrable up the Mtn into stuff I had myself convinced was out of my league. It was a cake walk, in 4x4 mode! Didn't take the packs, buddies idea and was spot on! We ended right on top of the rams. Dropped down as far as we could. Biggest ram, bigger body was 78 yards, then other was 44yards and the 3rd was not seen.
    Now yeah that sounds close, but that was with the nikon rifle range finder with the angle distance. To me, never checked it-no time and was in the moment of sheep, but they looked 150+ yards away. Buddy took vids and they look small in that too. Not sure if it was the wind, I compensated but arrows drifted the way I compensated. Not sure if the wind was different down low, or it was the 3rd axis issue, or if it was the wind was different and had a long ways to affect the arrow. Elevation was dead on, but the windage was off.
    So basically I missed 2 3/4 to 7/8 rams in 10 seconds or so! Freaking awesome anyways and lesson learned. Still not sure what went wrong though. Anchored nicely, peep and pins were dead on. Don't really remember checking the level. Then watching arrows drift to the left. The buddy just joined here. He posted the vids to Youtube. Will see if he can post a link or if I can figure it out.
    Stalked a huge black bear right after the sheep. Too aggressive though and he eventually took off, no where to hide and just went to fast. Then got into possition on the 3 bears, they came to within 40 yards, drew back, never fired as the one passed behind the other and the Z7 is mean bow, wouldv'e hit two bears. Plus drew back just incase they charged, headed right for our tent. No guns. Once they spotted us and I let down, they ran.
    Next morning get up to look for the huge bears spotted the night before. Look and we were busted by a small sheep. Look over the valley to where 2nd huge bear was spotted and there was another 3/4 curl headed to the little sheep. Wind was wrong but we went for it. Got up to where the little one was and it was gone and ram stayed where he was intead of coming on a string to us, would have been to easy!
    Was spitting snow so we gave up on bears and packed up and headed down. Short two day hunt but got'er done! No spotting scope with us, but the rams were all just below the eye depending on angle. That big bodied beast might have been broomed heavy, 10x minox just didn't give enough confirmation on any for exact size. Any sheep area so didn't matter! But awesome seeing them things out hunting!
    Could post pics, but don't want to give out the secret spots! Hard work payed off and lots of time scouting and spotting. This past weekend, no other hunters were where I wanted to be! Unlike the first weekend. So nice not seeing anyone, no pressure, and my guessing and predicting was spot on! This was my first ever sheep hunt. Second chugach sheep tag and was not going to waste another one! Didn't fill it, but darn near and put in the effort!!

Awesome hunt report! That's the thing I love about the Chugach archery sheep tags. I've had DS140 twice and haven't filled it yet, but it is such a great opportunity to be out in the sheep mountains late in the season. That alone makes it worth it, and trying to get close enough to arrow a dall sheep? Priceless. Thanks for sharing your story.

Good story, I'll bet the valley was beautiful this time of year. Nice write up, Thanks.

I'll be back up there next september to arrow me a pope and young black bear! Thanks you two for the kind words. I have officially been bittin by the sheep bug. Those sheep were within rifle range most of the time! Then to have the chance to get close to launch two arrows at two different nice rams, priceless.

Great story and awesome experience for sure.
    I don't know if you shoot FOBs or not but they are great in windier conditions and are affected very little.

Yo Chris. It's Brian. This is my account on here. I'll post the link to the vids ASAP.

Way to keep at 'em. Too bad you didn't bring one home, but that's hunting, and especially archery hunting.

Congrat's on a good hunt,

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by ak68 View Post
    Great story and awesome experience for sure.
    I don't know if you shoot FOBs or not but they are great in windier conditions and are affected very little.
    Yep a fobber for sure! Usually affected very little at kincaid out to 80 yards. I think it was the wind swirling off the rocks, with a long distance mixed in-such a steep angle, then the third axis also. First shot was so close. Oh well. Still a believer in the fobs! Worked on the grouse. Which reminds me, I am ordering a half dozen pink victory v1's! Shafts are very hard to find with the fobs are gone!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Yo Chris. It's Brian. This is my account on here. I'll post the link to the vids ASAP.
    Welcome to forums bro!

Great account of the trip man. Way to work for it and put forth the effort for your tag. Don't be grudge you as much now for drawing that tag now that I know you hunted it. j/k thanks for the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Great account of the trip man. Way to work for it and put forth the effort for your tag. Don't be grudge you as much now for drawing that tag now that I know you hunted it. j/k thanks for the story.

Dude you are just lucky, now when you draw it, just hit me up. I'll spill the beans on what I found, trails, hideouts and methods of travel. I did all the leg work for you and you don't even appreciate it!! Anybody who looks at this in the future, just ask! Granted I will not tell everything to everyone, why I didn't post it! Willing to help ya out though.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Yep a fobber for sure! Usually affected very little at kincaid out to 80 yards. I think it was the wind swirling off the rocks, with a long distance mixed in-such a steep angle, then the third axis also. First shot was so close. Oh well. Still a believer in the fobs! Worked on the grouse. Which reminds me, I am ordering a half dozen pink victory v1's! Shafts are very hard to find with the fobs are gone!
    I shoot regular v-1s with pink fobs and white nocks. Maybe I should look at pink shafts also. I spent over a half hour looking for a pass through shaft. I found the fob and nock right away.

Quote Originally Posted by ak68 View Post
    I shoot regular v-1s with pink fobs and white nocks. Maybe I should look at pink shafts also. I spent over a half hour looking for a pass through shaft. I found the fob and nock right away.
    Fob and nock is always easy! I lost another on saturday but found it on the way on sunday! Still have one MIA and left two on the mtn with the sheep. I am sure those are toast anyways after smashing into the rocks!

Default Videos

That's my whole channel. The 2 videos are EKbear and 2 near misses

http://www.youtube.com/user/HuntAK59?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    That's my whole channel. The 2 videos are EKbear and 2 near misses

http://www.youtube.com/user/HuntAK59?feature=mhum

Dude I love watching the sheep vid! Man what an awesome hunt.

Sounds like an awesome hunt. Thanks for sharing. Just getting close enough to draw back on a ram is a major accomplishment. Hard to beat experience like that, and I'm sure you learned a thing or two about sheep hunting to take with you on your next hunt. The videos are fun, too!

It's definitely beautiful country up there. I know just what a privilege it is getting to chase sheep around in the Chugach, and it's something to treasure.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.