Thread: Adak intel

Default Adak intel

I've been in AK for about a month and enjoying what the state has to offer. I got busy and did some salmon and halibut fishing and now some folks are inviting to go along on a caribou hunt in Adak island.

Has anybody hunted there before? I want to get as much information as possible so I do not look too much like a green horn to my "hosts" and to make sure I have all essentials. I've done alot of hunting in MO for deer, but from what I have been reading, hunting in AK is at times a logistical challenge. The only thing I know so far is that we will be staying in some type of cabins and have access to off road vehicles.

First of all, what is Adak like? are there any places to eat or buy food, or do I need to bring my own grub (or kill something quickly)? How about water, do you bring your own too? How do you bring the meat back (we are flying over there)? do you take a bunch of coolers with you over there and haul the meat back in them? From the pics that I've seen, you do not hunt from a tree stand. I assume a .308 will do the job, but how far, on average, will I be shooting. Do a I bring a scoped rifle or use my peep-sighted one? If I use a scope, do I sight it in at 100 yrds, 200 yds or 300 yds?

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is there a liquor store or do I need to budget some space to bring my own booze.

Thanks!

Default Archive search

There's been a ton written here on Adak caribou hunting. Use the search window at the top of the page, to start.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You've got yourself a good series of questions there, seems like you have the gears in your head turning and you are on your way to a successful trip. I did an Adak hunt as my first trip in Alaska also and got some great information from guys here that led to my group having a successful trip. First off, I have been deployed to Adak 3 times on search and rescue cases, seeing the island and caribou from the air, and I have hunted the island once on a 7 day trip. I got alot of my info from forum members, doing Internet searches on "'Adak
    Hunting" and talking to the locals there. We went in August, the caribou were several miles from the road system, they were all on the tops of the mountains and difficult to stalk. The plane was loaded down with hunters and we were the only ones successful in taking bulls because he hiked hard to get as far away from everyone else as possible and we kept moving setting up a new camp farther along every day until we found bulls. Now, from what I gathered from the locals, the later season hunts are alot easier because the bou come down off the mountains and head closer to town. You should get to the end of the road system and find a high vantage point and glass until you find the herds. The groups I have seen range from 4 to 100 animals, mostly cows and small bulls. If you get a bou down and decide to keep hunting the biggest factor you have to worry about is the eagles. Stash your meat in one of the a abandoned buildings or survival barrels because if you take your eyes off it they will pick it clean in no time. Im not sure if you are trophy or meat hunting but the trophy quality on Adak isn't what it used to be so if you find a decent bull I would take it without thinking twice.

The cabins you are staying in are most likely the old navy quadplexes which some individuals now own and rent out. The ones I have stayed in there are nice and very comfortable. We came out of the field a day early and deboned and packaged our meat in the rental, then packed the meat in plastic storage totes for the airline trip home. There is a decent eatery in the old chiefs club to get a good burger and beer after a hard hunt. There is a liquor store that opens for a few hours a day, you can't miss it because the locals and visiting fishermen will be lined up waiting for it to open! If you visit the local grocery store pay close attention to the experiation date on the food. Alot of the items we purchased were more than 3 years expired!

Have fun and be sure to check out some of the abandoned buildings, there is some very cool stuff to see and some great history on that island. Good luck

I've been to Adak in August and September. My experience was the same as CG swimmer in that you don't start seeing animals until you get a few miles from the road system. I've talked to a lot of people who say in November and December, they can be hunted from the road system. In September and August, most of the animals I saw were high in the hills. Later in the season, I would guess they will move to lower elevations when the snow starts falling. Most of the coastal areas donít get much of any snow. We never saw any giants, but there were a few ok sized animals. If you're willing to pack in several miles and camp, an August or September hunt would be good. If you're looking to put in a bit less effort, I'd wait till later in the season when they move closer to town.

The flights generally are pretty reliable, but I would play it safe and take a couple of days off work afterwards just in case you're departure is delayed by weather.

If you want more info including some contacts who can set you up with lodging, pm me.

Bring coolers out to Adak full of food and gear and hopefully bring them back with meat. If you dont eat all the food you bring, you can easily find someone to take it off your hands

Food shopping in Adak is expensive, the restaurant was reasonable prices (for Adak) and the food is pretty good. We were up there in April and the bou had been really close to town until they started getting chased around by folks just prior to our getting there..

As far as the flight reliablility...it took us 2 weeks to get out there due to bad weather..so I would keep that in mind, dont plan a trip to Adak a week before your daughters wedding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by h2ofowler View Post
    I assume a .308 will do the job, but how far, on average, will I be shooting. Do a I bring a scoped rifle or use my peep-sighted one? If I use a scope, do I sight it in at 100 yrds, 200 yds or 300 yds?
    Most the shots will be 100 to 200 yards. With a 308 sight in at 200 yards and then practice your hold over for 300 yard shots and your hold under (if any) for 100 yard shots.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Bring coolers out to Adak full of food and gear and hopefully bring them back with meat. If you dont eat all the food you bring, you can easily find someone to take it off your hands

Food shopping in Adak is expensive, the restaurant was reasonable prices (for Adak) and the food is pretty good. We were up there in April and the bou had been really close to town until they started getting chased around by folks just prior to our getting there..

As far as the flight reliablility...it took us 2 weeks to get out there due to bad weather..so I would keep that in mind, dont plan a trip to Adak a week before your daughters wedding!!!
    I've been out to Adak a bunch of times with work over the years and never had a substantial flight delay arriving or leaving. I may have been a little lucky but you had really bad luck. Adak has the best runway system in the Aleutians and in about 2006 installed a state of the art NAVAID system. Flights are via Alaska Airlines on 737s. When I last went out this last June it was on a newer 737-800 series. Good luck.

I went out to Adak with some friends. I second the out of date food. there is lots of water on the island, you will only find trees in the Adak national Forest. It is about an acre in size and the tallest tree is about 15 feet tall. Have some good optics. Be prepared for the wind. We hiked over Husky pass and camped by Catherine lake. The wind broke every tent pole in all three tents. There is a lot of good water all over the place, there are no other predators besides the eagles. They will eat anything you leave on the ground even in a bag. Take any dehydrated or freeze dried food with you. I did not see any there when we were there. The quads, (motel) is former family housing, most have cooking utensils, dishes and all things needed to cook, sleeping is up stairs, small living room, small dining room. There are rental vehicles available, costly, and not much more than a body on four wheels, we could see the road below our feet thru the holes in the bottom of the van. There is also Ptarmigan, and duck hunting there. Get to know the locals, they are nice people, go to the crab plant and get some fresh King crab. Fishing from the docks will get you a lot of black sea bass, good way to get fresh food free. Lots of fog and rain mixed with wind. Have fun, I would like to go back some day.