Thread: cranes still around delta, who would have thought?

Default cranes still around delta, who would have thought?

I was suprised to find cranes still around this weekend. Went to the black rapids area to try & fill the wifes cow permit. Saturday was just to windy & I didn't feel like playing in the water to cross the river so we just scouted & hunted other things on our side. Saturday night at about 10 pm we heard the cranes, they made noise most of the night. So sunday morning I got up & walked the dog on the willow line / river bed & located a couple small groups. Went back to the tent, got the wife & we tried to crawl on the dry, rock hard, windy, crunchy with leaves delta river bed. After two attempts where we didn't get inside 70-90 yds before being detected I headed back to camp. The wife continued one more stalk, where she did manage to get within about 60 yds before they flew. She managed a couple shots but no luck. However they stayed on the river bed most of the day until after 2:00 when they flew into the north wind about 5 miles before dissappering, after we gave it one more go. The weather was flurries, & we had a drive so we packed up & headed out. Heavy wet snow & slow going from mp 200 to glennallen.
    Now she wants to go back next weekend, & try & decoy them next fall. I think it was odd that they are still around there, & not really sure what they were eating on the river bed. Anybody eles been seeing them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had better then 100, flying over my house sunday and a buddy said he saw over 1000 Thats right 1000, And that many and more on Elmendorf today. Oh and the geese where all over the place as well. I don't remember seeing any this late at least that many.

But they aren't in the fields at Delta....must have passed through!

Had 30 fly over me today on the Glenn while crossing the flats...thought they were geese at first..interesting

Sent you a message.........I can bring you those deks. Just let me know................

Jack

jack,
    that sounds good, but I didn't get your message.
    I think we will head out tomorrow night.