Thread: haul road mid Oct

Default haul road mid Oct

I have a few guys headed up the haul road north slope with me in a less than two weeks I havent had time to get up there this year and this is my first year hunting up here I was just wondering what I can expect as far as bou activity and are there blackies up there? we are staying for afew days and walking outside the corridor. any info would be awsome

I have never been up there in Oct. so I can not say on the caribou activity. I have never seen any black bears up there, have seen some grizzly. Be prepared to have a tough hike through the sponge if you are hiking in the 5 miles.

Roughneck,
    Caribou and some grizz up in the Happy Valley area...no black bears that far north. Perhaps some other forum members can comment on black bears in the Coldfoot area.

And i'm sure I don't got to remind you to bring the really warm sleeping bag!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Roughneck,
    Caribou and some grizz up in the Happy Valley area...no black bears that far north. Perhaps some other forum members can comment on black bears in the Coldfoot area.

No I guess I dont need to be reminded about the sleeing bag! on average how many head are in the groups in the mid oct time frame?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Roughneck,

Ive seen most of the Black Bears between the Yukon river and Coldfoot the closer to coldfoot the more bears. As far as the bou go you could see a group of 300 or a couple groups of 4 to 5 or even worse what I saw when I was up there two weeks ago, 0 caribou.

I just talked to a friend who drives truck up north and he didnt see any caribou. With caribou its rough to try and predict them though. I have been up there in October and had more caribou running around than I knew what to do with. I would also watch the rut, might get some nasty tasting bulls in a couple weeks. I have seen blackies but none above coldfoot. My buddy also told me there is snow from Galbrath on up but I dont know if its melting off or not. And the coldest temp he saw was 14 deg. Also that five mile hike is a rough one (even for the hardiest of folks). Most guys plan to have at least two guys for every caribou killed.

Be carefull, good luck, and let us know how you all do.
    Also feel free to PM me if you want me to talk with my buddy on the caribou situation when it gets a little closer.

Quote Originally Posted by love to hunt View Post
    I just talked to a friend who drives truck up north and he didnt see any caribou. With caribou its rough to try and predict them though. I have been up there in October and had more caribou running around than I knew what to do with. I would also watch the rut, might get some nasty tasting bulls in a couple weeks. I have seen blackies but none above coldfoot. My buddy also told me there is snow from Galbrath on up but I dont know if its melting off or not. And the coldest temp he saw was 14 deg. Also that five mile hike is a rough one (even for the hardiest of folks). Most guys plan to have at least two guys for every caribou killed.

Be carefull, good luck, and let us know how you all do.
    Also feel free to PM me if you want me to talk with my buddy on the caribou situation when it gets a little closer.

Thankyou for the advice we have 4 guys going for 4 days walking will be bad but we are ready as for blackies if we do well on caribou early in the hunt we might stop somewhere south of coldfoot to look for blackies that would be an awsome bonus though