Thread: Kenai River regulation change

Default Kenai River regulation change

I apologize for the tardiness of this post. Iíll make the excuse that the dismal bird hunting allowed my mind to stray and thus made me remiss in posting this sooner. Some may be aware but it has not been made public to my knowledge; that the Department of Natural Resources has changed the Kenai River Special Management Area regulation that prohibited the discharge of firearms within Ĺ mile of any developed facility (which by their definition includes parking lots) has changed. The rule now states that shotguns may be discharged ľ mile from a developed facility during waterfowl hunting season. This comes after two years of lobbying and basically brow-beating the powers that be to accept that a ľ mile was perfectly safe for waterfowl loads and would be in keeping with other agencies regulations such as USFW.
    Basically what this rule change does is make it legal for folks who have hunted the river for years and never knew they were illegal until DNR began enforcing the Ĺ mile rule a couple years ago. It does open up a significant amount areas all along the Kenai River that would have otherwise been illegal for the waterfowl hunter. To date I am unaware of a map showing the legal areas on the river but if you know the area, the ruler tool on Google Earth will pretty much show what is and what isnít legal.
    The issue of permanent blinds remains in that it is illegal to construct a blind anywhere in the Kenai River Special Management Area and leave it unoccupied. In other words, unless you are going to spend the night in the blind it must be taken down when you leave. Letís hope the cold weather brings in some birds as thus far it has been really slow.

Thanks, sameyer, for all your hard work in that endeavor. May the ducks blacken the sky for you.

Thanks Sayak, right now I would settle for a light misting of ducks!