Thread: New here, question on Owls

Default New here, question on Owls

Hiyas, I'm from Florida and plan on visiting Alaska sometime in 2011 anyways I was thinking about the Fairbanks area where I would go and was wondering is that a good area to view Great Horned and Great Grey Owls ?

Also how long is the trip to fairbanks from anchorage ?

Thanks =)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i see plenty of horned owls south of town about 80 miles down by clear there are several nesting pairs in my area down there... i hear them from time to time in fairbanks.. but never seen one.

the trip is 6-7 hours 359 miles Fair- Anch...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the reply, I been looking around and seen a state park I think to the east of fairbanks. also I plan on going cross country skiing or snowshoeing, would you recommend that I carry some kind of firearm or flaregun for a just in case scenario ?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Forgive me for assuming any knowledge level but you say your from Florida so i have to assume the worst.... a lot more information about your self and your plans... would really help many of us give you quality information to use for your adventure...

that said.

depends on the time of year you plan on being here... skiing?? tends to be a winter activity and many of our birds of prey have migrated out of state...though i am not familiar with the migratory pattern of those you seek...

do you have winter experience in sever cold? and survival experiance... flare guns up here may go un noticed for weeks on end depending on where you head off too... AK is NOT largely populated and as the saying goes.... " if a tree falls....."

winter activities tend to be bear free up here.. and would not recommend anyone carry a fire arm for protection against wildlife unless they are 100% familiar with it as well our Defense of Life & property laws... ( DLP) Cow Moose tend to be the hazards in the winter due to temperament snow level and poor feed in the winter...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well heres the rundown and thanks for taking time with me. I'm 38 years old and some survival/outdoor skills here in the southeast. swamps etc . Only guns I have experience with are just shotgunns and never had to use one in self defence yet, big fire always seemed to work so far.

I have absolute zero experience in harsh cold climates and I been putting this trip off to Alaska for far to long and want to get it done and may even consider moving there as I have no love for the heat and palm trees down here lol .

The plan is to go up there maybe in Feburary or March and basically spend a few days in the backwoods by myself as my friends down here are just to lazy hehe. Do some cross country ,setup camp, some owl watching, fishing etc . I understand that bull moose maybe a problem so thats why I was asking about flaregun more for a deterent then to call for help, hopefully the bears in feb/march will still be away ,not sure about wolves, I hear they are somewhat shy.

Anyways the trip is just to satisfy my personal interest , I do well in the outdoors and enjoy the solace of it, not having to around cityfolk for a few days rejuvenates one if know what I mean. Any other info you need that would help, let me know thanks again.

might i suggest a more temperate time to explore? like may or June? Feb, March are typically the coldest months here in the interior of AK. -50 and -60 are not uncommon in the month of Feb and march is still plenty cold.. our sun light will be up to about 7-8 hours a day by mid Feb with little to no heat in it at all.. as we loose all of our UV in Nov and it wont start to return until Feb... it really is not the time of year to be exploring unless you are fully prepared for it..

meet on face book here

would recommend getting a public use cabin (such as a state park cabin) with a wood stove for any camping that time of year.

I also would recommend coming between May and Sep your first trip

Thanks for the replys, this leads me to new questions . These state park cabins, do you rent them ? also I been looking at flights, it seems I fly into ancherage, what would be the best way of getting to fairbanks ? Also I see talk of people hiring guides, exactly how does that work ? I would also like to come right before or right after peak tourist season, what months would those be ?

I know were way off from owl topic but thanks for bearing with me and all these questions.

I see Great Grey and Horned Owls in the Delta Junction area frequently. In fact, part of my son's homeschool curriculum is to locate and identify owl pellets and then determine what the prey was and what species owl got him. I'd suggest coming during the mating season for the owls as you'll be able to locate them by their calls more easily.

If you wanted to come in winter I'd plan on staying in a hotel or B&B and venturing out for day trips on local trails. I camp some in winter but it takes some unique experience (most of it bad) and plenty of gear you're unlikely to be familiar with in Florida.

XC skiing is a great way to see things that time of year.

Id do what Hodgeman suggested. Why all the way to FBX? Did you ever think about calling for owls? I have owls come to me all the time when I call when predator hunting.
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only