Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rumors/scuttlebutt

Default rumors/scuttlebutt

I heard this past weekend that unit 14 might go to an any bull hunt next year. Again probably nasty rumor, from what I was told it is because not enough bulls are being taking from unit 14? I think it is the lack of people really hunting 14 like they hunt unit 13 and unit 20.

It seems alot of folks hit unit 13 and 20 up me included. But the last week of the season I spent time in unit 14 and saw some amazing country so next year regardless of what they do, I might just hunt unit 14 for 15 days instead of heading up to paxson or Delta junction.

Also surprisingly not that many hunter like I thought there would be sure they were out there but not like the numbers I saw in unti 13 in the tangle/swede lakes trail parking lot I counted 56 trucks in the parking lot that was the last weekend before the season shut down in unit 13.

The fellow that told me said they were in fish and game askign about 14 and they are the ones that told him that they are considering the change. On a side note how would they manage that I guess through a registration hunt and once a qouta was met they revert it back to spike/fork 3 browtine 50 inch rules...

I hope not. The amount of hunters that would be hunting 14 would be obscene. I saw LOTS of guys hunting in 14 this year....more then in the past in one of my favorite spots. I agree though, there was plenty in 13 as well....I hate to say it but in the not to distant future I think we are going to start seeing some of the draws and select unit hunting the lower 48 has. On the upside, I heard from a lot of folks that they saw more moose in 13 than they have in a long time. Thanks predator control!

I am not sure that making it any bull is a very great idea. I have hunted 14 a lot and I have seen quite a few moose but they aren't behind every tree. I have seen a lot of cows, especially this year, although one area I was in had tons of cows with no calves.

IMO 14 is too close to population centers for any bull. I think that a season or two would devestate the population. I wish they would open up (I know there are a few permit/registration) some of the areas like the state parks around Anchorage/Eagle River/Eklutna and even alow some hunting within city limits. It is tragic that so many get hit by cars every year.

Quote Originally Posted by littleman81 View Post
    I am not sure that making it any bull is a very great idea. I have hunted 14 a lot and I have seen quite a few moose but they aren't behind every tree. I have seen a lot of cows, especially this year, although one area I was in had tons of cows with no calves.

IMO 14 is too close to population centers for any bull. I think that a season or two would devestate the population. I wish they would open up (I know there are a few permit/registration) some of the areas like the state parks around Anchorage/Eagle River/Eklutna and even alow some hunting within city limits. It is tragic that so many get hit by cars every year.
    Fairbanks is a population center with any bull. Still I don't hunt here I go down to Delta or unit 13!

I would speculate any bull in 14 would come through the draw with very limited draw numbers and not via GH. IMO there are not enough unit 14 bulls to justify an any bull GH hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    Fairbanks is a population center with any bull. Still I don't hunt here I go down to Delta or unit 13!
    Yes, that is true, but 14 is close to Anchorage and the Matsu which has a much larger population than Fairbanks. I agree with H2ODogg, it would have to be permit or registration or the population would get decimated. Take a drive through some of the popular trail heads in September and count the number of trucks...or boat launches same thing...the population could not handle the pressure, IMO.

if they want more bulls taken they just need to change the season dates. Sept 15-oct 15 would be the best time to have moose hunting season. The way it is now is it just starts getting good and then it closes

I just can't imagine that they're concerned about an under-harvest of bulls in 14. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like a lot of legal bulls die opening week and that they're few and far between by the end of the season. I could be wrong - and I'd certainly be there opening day if such a change was made - but I'd be surprised if this rumor was true.

I do not think that a general hunt for any bull would be a wise idea for unit 14. In years past there was a 'any bull' permit draw. I would support that as it might control how many bulls are taken.
    As far as the general hunt for any bull, again BAD idea!
    With the number of moose that are killed on the roads each winter, it would nice if those numbers could be harvested during the hunting season.

How about changing it to read any moose provided it is standing in your yard? I could harvest a cow each year at that rate. I live in a well developed subdivision and besides the cows that join us in the fall, we've had pregnant cows settle in around calving time in the spring. Keep waiting for one to drop a calf outside the kids room.

How would one go about wrting a proposal and have primitive weapons hunts for any bull in unit 14 by primitive I mean muzzleloader open ignition open sights no in-line muzzleloaders. Also have the hunt after the general season well a week or so after. As for the person who said they heard alot of people saw plenty of moose in the unti 13 that is the truth we saw a lot bulls but nothing over 50 but guys were pulling some monsters out but you had to get pretty far back usually 20 plus miles off the main trail once you past the middle fork of the Gulkana.

As far number hunters the last few days of the season I hunted 14 and I thought thier would be trucks everywhere but it was nto bad at all... Compared to unit 13 that is out BFE and thier are trucks everywhere, go to Eureka as well and the parking lots are jammed packed. So I believe unit 14 is not hunted that hard, but I do agree if it was turned into a any bull hunt half the state will be in hatcher pass area so probably want to wear some orange and it would be a zoo. But if you have a hunt starting in October when it starts to get a little chilly out you will then seperate the "weekend warriors" from the die hard hunters.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I would speculate any bull in 14 would come through the draw with very limited draw numbers and not via GH. IMO there are not enough unit 14 bulls to justify an any bull GH hunting season.
    Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    if they want more bulls taken they just need to change the season dates. Sept 15-oct 15 would be the best time to have moose hunting season. The way it is now is it just starts getting good and then it closes
    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    How would one go about wrting a proposal and have primitive weapons hunts for any bull in unit 14 by primitive I mean muzzleloader open ignition open sights no in-line muzzleloaders. Also have the hunt after the general season well a week or so after. As for the person who said they heard alot of people saw plenty of moose in the unti 13 that is the truth we saw a lot bulls but nothing over 50 but guys were pulling some monsters out but you had to get pretty far back usually 20 plus miles off the main trail once you past the middle fork of the Gulkana.

As far number hunters the last few days of the season I hunted 14 and I thought thier would be trucks everywhere but it was nto bad at all... Compared to unit 13 that is out BFE and thier are trucks everywhere, go to Eureka as well and the parking lots are jammed packed. So I believe unit 14 is not hunted that hard, but I do agree if it was turned into a any bull hunt half the state will be in hatcher pass area so probably want to wear some orange and it would be a zoo. But if you have a hunt starting in October when it starts to get a little chilly out you will then seperate the "weekend warriors" from the die hard hunters.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...spring2011.pdf

any thing that comes of this will be on the spring BOG agenda as soon as all of the Props are written and in the dead line for submitting props to the BOG is October 29 at 5 pm the link above will give you all of the information required...

rumors are rumors until the gavel falls... and it hits print in July 2011. there will not be any new draws for unit 14 coming this winter as it has not been before the board yet so any speculation wont have any effect until regulatory year 2011
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was wondering about that, Vince. Would a change in antler requirements have to go before the board of game, or is that within the power of managers to set antler restrictions based upon harvest/population statistics? I know that new hunts and dramatically different harvest requirements need to go before the board, but where does department discretion come into play?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I was wondering about that, Vince. Would a change in antler requirements have to go before the board of game, or is that within the power of managers to set antler restrictions based upon harvest/population statistics? I know that new hunts and dramatically different harvest requirements need to go before the board, but where does department discretion come into play?
    the BOG give the Dept Whats called discretionary hunt conditions for permits, seasonal dates.. etc.. but only in some areas and instances.. IE... forty mile caribou... early closure, weapons restrictions etc et.. changes to current regulations need to be brought before the board and the AAC gets changes.. IF the BOG agrees to it and it falls within the regulatory function of it.. this discretionary conditions are also reviewed by the BOG on a semi regular basis ( see Prop 44 SE book now on line http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...spring2011.pdf ) to ensure those discretionary measures are still needed or being correctly run.

as the other thread regarding 50 inch rule is being discussed that is AS. statute that would fall under legislative action to modify the punishment pertaining to the harvest of illegal moose harvest.. and could not be seen by the dept or F&G as it would be changing LAW not regulation...

the BOG would have to review the antler changes suggested in this thread, review the season dates and probably cut the season in half to accept the anticipated harvest that would be expected to happen.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

When I was actually around and able to attend the Valley AC meeting in late 2008 the Bio was there and he brought up the latest counts. He noted that bull/cow ratios were right in the upper level of the management goal. He stated that he was hoping they would have climed more so that he could recommend that any bull tags be added to the drawing. At that time the numbers where not there but it seemed clear that if and when they were then a hunt would be added. It is quite possible that we are there now. If that is the case then I would not be surprised to see some tags added to the next draw.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    When I was actually around and able to attend the Valley AC meeting in late 2008 the Bio was there and he brought up the latest counts. He noted that bull/cow ratios were right in the upper level of the management goal. He stated that he was hoping they would have climed more so that he could recommend that any bull tags be added to the drawing. At that time the numbers where not there but it seemed clear that if and when they were then a hunt would be added. It is quite possible that we are there now. If that is the case then I would not be surprised to see some tags added to the next draw.

again your talking winter 2011 spring 2012 NOT next draw 2010 for spring 2011.. as it will have to go before the board sping 011...

meet on face book here

What would be nice is a late season Archery hunt for moose or even muzzleloader in unit 14/13/20. I guess I have to find someone that knows how to write real well to write a proposal. But with unit 20 have to go to fairbanks and unit 13 I guess to Glennallen.

unit 20 already has a late season Muzzy hunt. check the draw suppliment

meet on face book here

I do see that but a muzzleloader/archery hunt on the otherside of unit 20 by Delta Junction... I afraid to venture around Clear there is a guy driving a huge F450 and takes people out to bad lunches any how he scares me!

lol only the hot dogs were bad... not my fault you don't have time to get into good establishments and that muzzy hunt is due to change locations coming this year... that was part of the Discretionary permit authority given to the Dept at last springs BOG meeting was to change the zones in 20A and the hunt boundaries to give the Rex a break ... now if you and Rob would just go to some of these meetings you would know all this...

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast