Thread: Judge Question

Default Judge Question

Can anyone think of a reason why the Judge wouldn't be abel to handle the .45 long colt buffolo bore 300gr bullets?

Cause from what I understand it isn't built to handle those type of loads repeatedly.

Sorry I should have added a bit more info.
    The newer 3" cambered judge should handle a bit more, Right?. I'll be it probably not the 300gr buffolo bore. But if the 2.5" camber can shoot a 4.10 slug 1/5oz lead @ 1244f/s wouldn't the 3" have a bit higher velicity?

The difference in max pressure between a 2.5" and 3" .410 is about 1500psi. Hardly a difference, and not nearly enough justification to try the big bruiser 45 Colt loads.
    Gun-Steuerung arbeitet für uns!
    (let us not repeat history...)

Plus the 3" chambered judges I have tried shoot HORRIBLY with 45colt loads because of the long jump to the rifling.

Rather than just a stab in the dark, whuch many answers are on other forums in reference to Taurus guns!!! I thought I'd give an actual answer that means something!!! Unlike many others I am not a gun snob, I own some expensive/exotic firearms AND some Taurus guns. My daily town carry is a Taurus slim which has been 100% reliable for me, I also own a Taurus 357Mag 4inch and have had a number of other Taurus that I have owned or buddies' that I have fired - their 44Mags with the porting are a joy to fire. FWIW Taurus are now turning out some good guns - the triggers on my 357 and Slim are among the best factory triggers out there. Personally I have never had a quality issue with Taurus.
    As far as the BB 300Gr (I assume you are referring to the +P and not +P+?). All Taurus firearms are rated for +P ammo so there is no reason why the Judge should not handle it. Many say that the Taurus guns are not rated for +P, they are. The manual (and Customer Service) actually say that +P should be used in moderation as it will reduce the life of the firearm - well no Sheet! My Walther, Glock and XD manuals all say the same!!!
    How well it will shoot is a different matter, but I am presuming you may be looking at that ammo for bear defense - don't know! Even with long chamber (long way to rifling) the bullet will still stabilise enough for a reasonable shot at defense ranges (up to 25 yds).
    I am actually looking at getting a Judge for a rabbit/ptarmigan sidearm. Many say the Judge has no practical use, IMHO, as a gun to carry on your side with 3"410 and heavy 45 Colt in the cylinder it is actually pretty useful for fall small game hunting and as bear backup. However, I am holding out in the hope that they actually release the Raging Judge soon - 454C/45Colt/3"410, now that will be versatile.

Thanbks Nbh40,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I see large flocks of ptarmigan when I am alpine hunting for deer and want somthing other than my sling shot or spending $2.50 a round trying to pop thier heads off. With the jude I think I could pick up 5 fairly easily. I was also looking at a single shot .410 pistol, or having someone with a class 3 licence make me one out of a snake charmer (yes it is legal if you fill out the forms I just checked with ATF). But if the Judge could shoot a viable bear load that would put it up one notch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Thanbks Nbh40,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I see large flocks of ptarmigan when I am alpine hunting for deer and want somthing other than my sling shot or spending $2.50 a round trying to pop thier heads off. With the jude I think I could pick up 5 fairly easily. I was also looking at a single shot .410 pistol, or having someone with a class 3 licence make me one out of a snake charmer (yes it is legal if you fill out the forms I just checked with ATF). But if the Judge could shoot a viable bear load that would put it up one notch for me.
    HAHA, that was us on a Blacktail hunt on Sunday, coming down I walked past 6 or more birds on a rock face not 7 yards from me - my choice was 45-70 or throw a rock - the rock missed!!! No 7 shot in a 3inch 410 would have bagged me at least 3 birds!!

Beware however, we have now put the word "bear" in this thread, only a couple more posts and it will turn into a '45Colt any good for bear defense' thread!

I have never shot a Judge that shot stright enough for bear at 25yards. The judge is ok for what its designed for and thats shooting perps with their head in your window. Even at ten yards I would not put the judges accurancy ok for bear protection. I may at times take a white chicken at ten yards but a 22 pistol would do it better plus have other use
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I can attest that the Judge is no target pistol. That said, are the .500 and .460 snub nosed pistols? Just askin'. I guess if you miss the bear with a snub nosed big bore, you can set him on fire with the unburned powder in the muzzle blast! Shoot one of those giant bore snub nosed beast with the compensator on the end without hearing protection and here's what'll happen:

1. You'll miss the bear.
    2. You'll be blind from the flash, but the cool thing is, he might be too.
    3. The bear will be on fire.
    4. You won't hear your own screams as the bear with the afro is eating you.

Neat, huh?
    Last edited by Sir; 10-05-2010 at 21:57. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    Shoot one of those giant bore snub nosed beast with the compensator on the end without hearing protection and here's what'll happen:

1. You'll miss the bear.
    2. You'll be blind from the flash, but the cool thing is, he might be too.
    3. The bear will be on fire.
    4. You won't hear your own screams as the bear with the afro is eating you.

Neat, huh?
    That's why my .500 is the 2.75" without a muzzle break. I also shoot it regularly and know better than to load 250gr hollow points at 17million fps so I feel fairly confident about my ability to properly utilize the hardware if it ever comes down to it.

Taking the human factor out of the equation I also believe the hardware will perform as intended, which is something I can't say for any Taurus.
    Gun-Steuerung arbeitet für uns!
    (let us not repeat history...)