Thread: Stupid Hunters on the Mendenhall Wetlands

Default Stupid Hunters on the Mendenhall Wetlands

If you know the people that were hunting near the pond with the sitting bench last night tell them they are just plain stupid. Who ever thought it was smart to set up 100 yds off the walking trail, with your deeks between you and the trail full of people is a complete idiot. Dozens of people out walking their dogs were directly down range from you. I know steel shot is not particularly lethal at that range but all it takes is one walker to get peppered and it's game over. Wetlands closed!!! I had to warn two ladies that were sitting on a log enjoying the view that they were in your line of fire. Come'on people atleast try to be smart. It's a busy public trail, don't shoot towards it. The ducks aren't worth it.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I would think that going through the permit process down there would have made things like this obvious "do nots".

AKBoater - If you see this sort of stuff going on - Report it.

We need to police our own out there, and I know for a fact the troopers have been out there enforcing things a lot lately...

Were they set up in that old blind on the island on the other side of Otter Pond?

I'm glad to hear the troopers have been out there this year. Last year someone was routinely shooting 15 min early and the troopers got reports of that from several people.

You're right that we need to police it ourselves. It's very important that another hunter speaks to someone who's risking our access out there.

Erich

They were set up at the mouth of the outlet stream for that pond. Their deeks were in the pond and they were facing the trail. The tide was in at the time and I was just out for a walk with my wife. Generally speaking I always consider the pond off limits for myself. It's just too close to the trail and ducks just aren't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    They were set up at the mouth of the outlet stream for that pond. Their deeks were in the pond and they were facing the trail. The tide was in at the time and I was just out for a walk with my wife. Generally speaking I always consider the pond off limits for myself. It's just too close to the trail and ducks just aren't worth it.
    Yeah, that's too close for sure.

Erich

I dunno...I'll whack em on the pond - Simply because its legal, and I can. That being said, I always ensure that I shoot in a safe direction.

I'm of the mindset that the wetlands refuge was originally created as a place to hunt, so I have no qualms about shooting close to the trail, so long as I'm following proper safety rules, and generally I like to wait till no one is around.

Just my $.02

I'll make a correction. I'll shoot by the pond when it's early in the morning and nobody else is around. But always facing away from the trail. I'll set deeks in the creek below the pond. I never set up in the pond.

I've never set up in the pond either...Birds just don't seem to go there as much as on the outside of the islands...

yea that seems stupid to me, thats way to close to the trail... i got yelled at a few years ago for shooting away from the trail around that same spot and i was out by the trees and shooting directly away from the trail. its people that dont use their heads that are going to get the wetlands closed.

It comes closer and closer every year.

I'll make a correction too. It's too close to shoot towards the trail. Shooting away from the trail, no problem with me.

I'll just say it again... It's every hunters responsibility to catch up with and talk to other hunters who are acting in a way that risks our hunting privileges out there. Whether they are young and inexperienced or old enough to know better, we need to keep policing our own ranks. There are homeowners around the refuge who would love nothing more than to have a foolproof excuse to end hunting and have their own wildlife preserve out their windows.

Erich

I've seen my share of idiots out there too, including boats bow-shooting at geese while on step out in Fritz Cove. Some are just plain dumb...standing there trying to pass shoot 70 yards from my spead when I had set up well before daylight...argh....

I wouldn't hunt that pond. I don't see any reason not to if done responsibly, but it's probably not the best idea when there are so many other good spots, you just need to figure out the tides. Anything in this town that gives hunting a bad rep is no good. The last thing the Juneau area needs is more restrictions. Definatly report violations.
    Nice Marmot.

Took the dog for a walk on the dike trail this afternoon and decided I needed to share a development with the blind on the slough out of Otter Pond (the one with the covered bench).

I know that the island with the trees has had a pit blind for forever, but the blind someone built this year is particularly horrible looking! The trouble is that this is the closest pit blind to the public so it's a big deal when someone builds something as hideous as this:

Memo to the builders: If your going to build an illegal pit blind, at least do the rest of your fellow hunters a favor and keep it as low profile as possible!!! This blind has no cover in the front and it hangs over the top of the hunters head. The tattered camo netting draws MORE attention to the blind and on top of that whoever built it BUTCHERED the trees directly behind it!

This is a BIG deal guys, it's really important that the anti-hunter groups don't gain any momentum and when a particularly bad blind is built right off the trail, aimed so that you are shooting towards the covered bench, that directly risks our continued hunting opportunities.

Erich