Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010-2011 Season

Default 2010-2011 Season

Welcome all ye of the hardwater. Just as before every season i try and set a few species goals. To cut to the chase, i love burbot. I just found this out earlier this year. Besides hunting burbot im also on the prowl for some Pike and or anything else than trout. This fall i have trouted my self out. I have caught and ate trout every whichway possible. Time for some good, winter, white meat! Please list what your species dream list for this winter.

Well, I moved to Alaska in July from Arizona. I love to icefish. I have never caught a lake trout, so that would be pretty cool.

hmmm... MARLIN!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    Well, I moved to Alaska in July from Arizona. I love to icefish. I have never caught a lake trout, so that would be pretty cool.
    Hows the ice fishing in Arizona?

Welcome to the forum BTW!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Hows the ice fishing in Arizona? :
    Don't knock Arizona for winter activities. Never been there myself but 10 or more years ago, I was involved in a project to promote snowmobile tourism in Alaska. At that time, Arizona had more miles of marked and groomed snowmobiling trails than Alaska! That was an eye opener...

Ok, not to Hijack this thread, I think it would be interesting to try and figure out icefishing opportunities in rivers versus the lakes. I see it done in rural western Alaska all the time and they haul out some very impressive fish. Everything from rainbows, whitefish, and burbot.

I recall snowmobiling to a lodge on the Susitna river and seeing a hole they had punched to get water. The river was flowing but it was gin clear versus the glacially silty river it is during the summer. After speaking with some folks, I was told it would be difficult and to bring extra blades since any "prospecting" you do, you are more than likely to just dig into gravel since the river looks like nothing like during the summer and fall when most people scout it out. Not even sure the seasons are open though...

I know, Arizona brings images of rocks and cactus. But there is alot of the state that is high country. There are lots of great ice fishing lakes. Its all trout, but you can get some huge rainbows (even by Alaska standards) through the ice. There is some good fishing for brook trout as well. My favorite lake is only acessable by snow machine in winter, and it has HUGE browns and Apache trout. Anyway, I am really exited to be able to target some new species up here. Never caught a pike, lake trout, char or burbout. I'd really like to get a nice laker though. We'll see. I guess the end of November for safe ice?

Let's hope we have safe ice at the end of November. Although this fall already feels colder than last fall. I recall November 2009 having fairly warm temps and little to no snow or ice.

Keep those fingers crossed!

I'm hoping to target Pike, Lakers, and BIG Burbot this winter.

I just arrived here in Fairbanks and love ice fishing. I have the whole setup, auger, shack, heaters, poles ect. Is there many lakes around the area that offer decent fishing?

In fairbanks, yes. But whatever you have for a auger, i recommend a extention for it :P As for any interior ice fishermen
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    it has HUGE browns and Apache trout
    Huge Apache trout?...what's that about 8"?......you wouldn't be talking about the Big Lake area in the NE would ya?....One day fishing for the Apache I was surprised to catch grayling in AZ too...who'd of guessed.....probably nothing but stockers and pike with the kiddo's for me this winter...

or maybe cutting holes so I can actually cast for the fish instead of jigging....

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

How about a pike trip on the sleds?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Where are you thinking of going for pike?

I remember your video! great stuff!

or maybe cutting holes so I can actually cast for the fish instead of jigging....

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I am ready.....bring it on. I was fishing hardwater first week of November 2009? we had about 5 1/2 inches by 12 nov 2009

good resource: Alaska section
    www.iceshanty.com
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

TJM you crack me up.

Stop twisting my arm......ok. I'm in.

I'm a piker but I think I would love to catch a huge Laker and my very first burbot.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Yeah the lake trout and burbot are probably the ones I want to catch the most. Been up here all my life and never caught a burbot

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I remember your video! great stuff!
    you mean this one...

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

I would like a breathalizer on this one, your hole is not in a straight line! How many beers did it take, again?

hmmmmmmm, pike sled trip sounds good! Hut's N Bow's?

One of my goals to put a Burbot on the ice this winter, haven't done that before. I would also like to get a 40" Northern and I think that will be accomplished, I get quite a few over 30 every year but 40 is the new goal. A few nice Lakers would be a plus.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast