Thread: Where should a newbie start

Default Where should a newbie start

Never Hunted ducks before, and just started hunting grouse. What and where would you all recommend I start.
    I have started reading the reg book, and it seems like duck hunting isn't really over regulated like the fishing and big game is.

Any help would be awesome.
    Thanks

First go where there are ducks. Seward is not a duck hunting hot spot to my knowledge.

Review a lot of the post on here about hunting near anchorage. closer to you is the placer river and 20 mile rivers in Portage. you can do a lot of walking out there and jump shoot ducks.

i should change my location. normally work in seward during the summer and return to wasilla during the fall and winter. any where close to the valley that i could walk and duck hunt? im getting a lab in November and plan to have him trained for hunting as soon as i can, so i can make him do all the swimming

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    any where close to the valley that i could walk and duck hunt?
    No.....absolutely not.....and don't go searching on here for spots either.....that will just lead you down a horrible path in life......

Soon you will be at Cottonwood creek on the hay flats or heaven forbid you end up at the end of Maud Road.

Its a dead end at either place, so don't do it.

Some people may be slow to tell you there favorite haunts are, but one that I recommend newcomers to go is the palmer hayflats. You can hunt that place mild to wild if you'd like, if your not in the best of shape stay close to the trail where the walking isn't as tough. If you can handle shedding some sweat, go nuts and walk all over that place. I hang a left after I cross the bridge and walk that way and out for a mile or two then I walk straight out and try to hit the river, then I follow the 4 wheeler trail back. Be prepared to lose a few birds in the dense vegetation and make sure your using ample shot size / choke. The best weather for jump shooting is when its windy rainy nasty weather- it makes sneaking up on the ducks easier because they don't hear you as good. You really can't go wrong out there. You'll bag a few. Best of luck.

thanks for the help guys, ill hopefully be out there monday