View Poll Results: What specialty gear would you consider renting

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • high end tents and specialty camp gear

4 15.38%
  • specialty optics

4 15.38%
  • transportation (atv, river boat, snowmachine)

20 76.92%
  • other

6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Specialty Gear Rental

Default Specialty Gear Rental

howdy folks,

As I have been slowly expanding my hunting options throughout the state (both in speices and geography) and one of the problems I've encountered is that there is certain gear that is required/suggested for certain hunts... IE Arctic Ovens for winter predator hunts or ultra light gear for sheep etc....etc.... "gearing up" has always been a limiting factor in trying new hunts...

What kind of "specialty" gear would you consider renting instead of buying to try a new hunt??

(for full disclosure I am kicking around the idea of creating a non-profit cooperative made up of alaskan hunters)

thanks

Greg

My problem with gear rentals for hunting up here is you can usually buy the item or come very close rather than renting it for 7-10 days. I've seen this with rafts, bear fences, etc. Other items the rental is just obscene (as in snowmachines). I understand the business side of this as well, but I just can't see renting something for $100 per day (raft) or $1,000 for 10 days when I can just buy it for $2,500-3,000). Something that would make more sense would be trucks in the right place (haul road or POW), meat trailers?, etc.

I would happily rent a Swaro spotter for a $150 or $200 a week instead of buying one for 3 grand.

You could even have packages. For instance for a sheep hunt you could rent a Barney's pack, a Jetboil or MSR stove, a top end lightweight tent, a Wiggy's bag & pad, a set of trek poles, a water filter, and a spotting scope. At this point all the hunter really needs to provide himself is clothes, boots, a weapon and food.

You could set up similar packages for float hunters: Everything for the trip but the raft etc.

Greg, high-end gear is always worth renting if for no other reason than to "test drive" it.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I think the key here is rental value (for the renter) vs. making financial business sense. I'd be very excited to rent a great scope for $200 per week, but how many weeks will that thing rent during the year. The owner will need to rent it out for 15 weeks to pay for it. Also figured in has to be damage, theft, normal wear and tear, etc. Who wants to sleep in a rented sleeping bag? The tent might work. Renting good tents for backpack hunts or even Arctic Ovens might work.

I'd rent certain types of gear in a heartbeat. In fact I regularly rent gear from my local MWR and find it very convient.

The only downside is that some of that gear gets the absolute stuffing beat out of it pretty regularly. It is a great way to try out an activity without investing in a ton of gear but you may get something that's not 100% reliable.

I'd be interested in hearing more on the development of this idea.

I think that there are already places in town that do similiar rentals. Many boat rental places. I think that some of the shops also rent other gear too.

Problem with renting a swaro scope is that you will want it forever after renting....just as well put the 200 down on the purchase.