Thread: Should my red potatoes have red centers?

Default Should my red potatoes have red centers?

I've never seen this before and when I cut them in half, the centers are the same color red as the skin. Can anybody tell me anything about this? Is this a potato disease?

between wasilla and palmer

No it is not a disease. I suspect it is the type of potatoe. There are several types of potatoes that have colored insides. I think that sweet hart potatoes have red insides. Do you remember what kind you planted?

Interior Alaska

Not all spuds match slkin and meat/flesh color. It depends on the hybrid in question.

French Fingerlings have a fairly bright red skin, with whitish flesh streaked with red lines similar to a tie-dye pattern (pretty tasty and attractive to look at, btw). Chieftains will be a fairly white flesh, with a red skin. Same for Warbas, Desiree, and other red-skinned hybrids.

Then there are other spuds whose flesh indeed matches the skin color to one degree or another. Most of those I'm familiar with range from blue to purple, though. But there's new hybrids coming out all the time.

I dug up some French Fingerlings the other day that were, for a fact, French Fingerlings. But a few had the skin color of Swedish Peanuts. I figured it was a recessive gene or something, as I -know- my Swedish Peanut seeds were planted elsewhere, and some of the spuds off that same plant were of the appropriate red-skinned color. Both types are members of the 'fingerling' potato group. (Not a corporate entity by any means, btw..)

Most 'diseases' in plants will create either mold/fungus or dead tissue (necrosis), neither one of which is typically going to present in much other than the standard black (as in 'dead' tissue), gray mold, or blue mold, etc.

Now, if you should chow down on some of these and start seeing things, then be sure to let us know.. ;^>)

My youngest son took over digging up our row of Shepody spuds this year, and the largest of them caused him to giggle, coming in at 10" in length. Though white in flesh color, relatively bland in flavor, and slightly off-white in skin color, I'm told that their chemistry and length/size makes them great for gigantasaurus shoe-string-style french fries....

Fall's upon us, and the basement's now covered in tubs of segregated spuds, carrots, beets, green tomatoes, cabbages, rutabegas, and other delectables, with bags of red tomatoes in lesser numbers on the back porch, kitchen counters, and where ever one can place them without tripping over them..

There'll now come the unending stream of various fried spuds for breakfast, shepherd's pie for dinner, cole slaw in between, pickled, harvard, and steamed beets, steamed cabbage and corned moose/beef, and the otherwise healthy (overboard) eating of veggies that represents the annual/seasonal race to keep them in managable numbers before they rot.

We out-did ourselves with spuds this year, and hope to ship our seed spuds to various folks in the bush soon, in order to get our own stores under control..

H-E-L-P!!!! ;^>)